Discuss Electricity Meter Faulty in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Is it possible in a domestic premises to use 35KW of electricity per day? I ask because I've just had a bill from EDF saying that I used 3300KW of electricity from October to February (19 weeks). I've noticed that they think I’m using between 15KW and 35KW per day. When I only use about 60KW per week, the 'smart' meter is recording the amount of electricity correctly as I can see on the meter screen. However, it's sending erroneous information to EDF. On Friday 26th Feb the customer advisor I spoke to said that my electricity meter was reading 19671, yet on the meter screen it was reading 7233. I've noticed that the mobile connection is very weak at about -85dBm. EDF must be getting more noise than signal. It's very worrying when EDF says I owe £500 for electricity used. I read the energy meters every week. For the period from October to February, I owe about £170.

Offer to send your manual readings to EDF and ask them to compare to their records and then to send a meter reader out to manually read the meter.

Meter reader is there such a person these days.?

Yes, to read all the Gen 1 "Smart" meters that can't be remotely read (although that's changing at the moment and they all should soon be able to be) and older meters for customers like my mate aged 75 who is physically unable to get a reading off his as he can't bend down to read it.

do you have any electric heaters?
a 2 kw fan heater will use 20KWh of electricity between 9am and 7pm.
It is entirely possible to use 35KWh per day as the average uk usage is 350KWh per month (11 per day)
if you are using electricity to heat a home, during the winter months, expect usage to be well above the average consumption.

If you have NO electric heating or water heating, i would think the figures are far higher than expected.

No I haven't any electric heaters. I rely on the gas CH. I only have the basic electrical applicances, TV, washing machine, small box freezer and a fridge.

Hi,have you confirmed they have the correct MPN number? They will have to go with the meter reading on the device itself....smart...my seating muscle...?

Not sure if this is actually true, I have heard that "smart" meters record and charge for every inrush current that goes on the house. Previous old type meters could not do this. Apparently that accounts for many people having a smart meter fitted getting much higher bills than with the old type Kwh meters. What do you think, myth or.....?

Yes I gave them a photo with the meter reading and the MPN clearly showing. Still not heard anything from EDF. It's been a week now. I'm going to raise an offical complaint with them tomorrow.

EDF have half backed down. They said there are connectivity issues with my electric smart meter, the figues they have, have gone from correct figures to estimates. I can prove their estimates are wildly out, from the last actual meter reading and the reading now. It's obvoius they haven't a clue, how much electricity I['ve used from Oct 2020 to Feb 2021. I'm going to ask them to base how much electricity I've used from Oct 2020 to Feb 2021 on past bills I've had off them in the winter months.

Its within tolerance as explained in #5, just top end speak to your energy supplier to see if the meter is communicating with the DCC, does you IHD (in home display) function ok.

Yes I gave them a photo with the meter reading and the MPN clearly showing. Still not heard anything from EDF. It's been a week now. I'm going to raise an offical complaint with them tomorrow.
Just showing them a picture of the meter with the MPAN showing... may not be enough... you need to tell them the MPAN and ask them to compare that to the one they think you have. Spoon feeding I know... but sometimes it has to be done.

Just showing them a picture of the meter with the MPAN showing... may not be enough... you need to tell them the MPAN and ask them to compare that to the one they think you have. Spoon feeding I know... but sometimes it has to be done.
Meters don't show MPAN they show MSN (meter serial number)

Reply to Electricity Meter Faulty in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock