• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss ESC Card for Electrical Labourer or Trainee - Help and Advice. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

RDB85

-
Trainee
Reaction score
So I am after a bit of advice from anyone that has previously or has now an Electrical Labourer ECS or Trainee Card. I was told to sit the ESC H&S Exam, passed it. I then go online, and it's saying that the Qualifications I have don't match.

From the site:
The Electrical Labourer ECS card is for people working in the electrical industry in a supportive role to assist electricians and other qualified staff with the installation of cables and other unskilled work, under supervision. They are to assist but not carry out any craft work that an electrician carries out.

A labourer has a specific job role within the JIB grading structure.

In some
situations this card may be issued if you cannot meet the qualification requirements of other cards such as Installation Electrician. If you hold a Labourer card, you can upgrade to an ECS gold card once you have gained further qualifications.

Electrical Labourer - https://www.ecscard.org.uk/card-types/electrotechnical/labourer-ecs-card

But if you look at Route One I meet the criteria. I've emailed them, or I may phone them on Monday.

Has anyone else had this issue?

So I am after a bit of advice from anyone that has previously or has now an Electrical Labourer ECS or Trainee Card. I was told to sit the ESC H&S Exam, passed it. I then go online, and it's saying that the Qualifications I have don't match.

From the site:
The Electrical Labourer ECS card is for people working in the electrical industry in a supportive role to assist electricians and other qualified staff with the installation of cables and other unskilled work, under supervision. They are to assist but not carry out any craft work that an electrician carries out.

A labourer has a specific job role within the JIB grading structure.

In some
situations this card may be issued if you cannot meet the qualification requirements of other cards such as Installation Electrician. If you hold a Labourer card, you can upgrade to an ECS gold card once you have gained further qualifications.

Electrical Labourer - https://www.ecscard.org.uk/card-types/electrotechnical/labourer-ecs-card

But if you look at Route One I meet the criteria. I've emailed them, or I may phone them on Monday.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Do you work in the industry? Just had a read. It states you need proof you are employed in the industry (employer or agency) plus the H & S test.

Do you work in the industry? Just had a read. It states you need proof you are employed in the industry (employer or agency) plus the H & S test.

Currently not no, but I think its the type of card that I need to get into the industry, as it's specifically for Electricians. It's rather confusing as you need a card to get on to sites, but then you must either be working or for the trainee one, have a sponsor.

Currently not no, but I think its the type of card that I need to get into the industry, as it's specifically for Electricians. It's rather confusing as you need a card to get on to sites, but then you must either be working or for the trainee one, have a sponsor.

That's why, it's for people working in electrical industry. No worries though, get a CSCS card first and when you start working then go for ECS labourer card.

My initial card (2015) was a labourer, even though i had done my level 3 and 17th, but i had no site experience so was happy with any to get me onsite. Needed an employer to vouch for me to get it.

Just renewed and got regraded as a trainee electrician (stage 3) which needed my boss to validate the regrade and a letter from my training providor to say im doing the nvq.

My initial card (2015) was a labourer, even though i had done my level 3 and 17th, but i had no site experience so was happy with any to get me onsite. Needed an employer to vouch for me to get it.

Just renewed and got regraded as a trainee electrician (stage 3) which needed my boss to validate the regrade and a letter from my training providor to say im doing the nvq.

Its horrible, I think I am looking at a Trainee Card Stage 2, with my Level 2 Qualification, plus I am getting the place I do the course to write me a letter. What do you do about a sponsor? As currently I am not working in the industry, but trying to get into it.

Its horrible, I think I am looking at a Trainee Card Stage 2, with my Level 2 Qualification, plus I am getting the place I do the course to write me a letter. What do you do about a sponsor? As currently I am not working in the industry, but trying to get into it.

You will need the company you work for to be your sponsor in turn you will have to show evidence to JIB you're working towards your Gold Card.
The college can write you a letter not sure what that will do TBH as JIB need you to be employed before they start chucking cards around.

You will need the company you work for to be your sponsor in turn you will have to show evidence to JIB you're working towards your Gold Card.
The college can write you a letter not sure what that will do TBH as JIB need you to be employed before they start chucking cards around.

So basically I can’t do anything. As in order to get experience, you need to be working in the industry. But you need a card to get any work experience. So how do you get experience then? As I can’t do it for free, as I was made redundant. But everyone I’ve asked said you need an ECS Card not a CSCS as that’s for construction, not electrical. It’s frustrating as I want to do this as a career, but seems impossible.

So basically I can’t do anything. As in order to get experience, you need to be working in the industry. But you need a card to get any work experience. So how do you get experience then? As I can’t do it for free, as I was made redundant. But everyone I’ve asked said you need an ECS Card not a CSCS as that’s for construction, not electrical. It’s frustrating as I want to do this as a career, but seems impossible.

Everyone is in the same boat mate and yes it does seem backward but it must be manageable if not they wont be giving out any cards.

Everyone is in the same boat mate and yes it does seem backward but it must be manageable if not they wont be giving out any cards.

I get that, but I may as well get another desk job and carry on doing my Level 3, 18th, Testing and Inspection. Then see how I get on with employment. As it’s only worth doing the NVQ if you are in employment and can do a portfolio of work. That’s also £50 I’ve wasted doing that exam then, lol.

I get that, but I may as well get another desk job and carry on doing my Level 3, 18th, Testing and Inspection. Then see how I get on with employment. As it’s only worth doing the NVQ if you are in employment and can do a portfolio of work. That’s also £50 I’ve wasted doing that exam then, lol.

Pretty sure it would've cost you nothing to do your H&S if you would've completed your level 3 as I am sure its an exemption.

Pretty sure it would've cost you nothing to do your H&S if you would've completed your level 3 as I am sure its an exemption.

I didn't say I am not doing a Level 3? I start that in February. I was just hoping that getting this card would at least allow me to gain some experience, as the course runs of an evening and I could still work of a day. Seems that is not the case, I understand that it needs to be regulated but, seeing as its a starving industry, they have now made it more impossible to even begin.

So basically I can’t do anything. As in order to get experience, you need to be working in the industry. But you need a card to get any work experience.

I approached a company, had a chat with the boss about what I'd done and what im going to do. I explained i cant get a job without the card, and the card without a job... he offered to endorse me as a labourer to help me out, though couldn't offer me a job.

Five months later, still no experience he took me on as a mate.. though i took a pay hit to get in!!

Two and a half years later, im paid what im worth, much to the an anoyance of our 4th year apprentices :tearsofjoy:, and i will qualify when i pull my finger out.

Tldr

Do your level 3, get a labourers card and prove your worth on site (cards in or agency work).. the rest will fall into place if your genuinely good at your job.

Forget about the 18th and testing, until you have done the nvq.

I approached a company, had a chat with the boss about what I'd done and what im going to do. I explained i cant get a job without the card, and the card without a job... he offered to endorse me as a labourer to help me out, though couldn't offer me a job.

Five months later, still no experience he took me on as a mate.. though i took a pay hit to get in!!

Two and a half years later, im paid what im worth, much to the an anoyance of our 4th year apprentices :tearsofjoy:, and i will qualify when i pull my finger out.

Tldr

Do your level 3, get a labourers card and prove your worth on site (cards in or agency work).. the rest will fall into place if your genuinely good at your job.

Forget about the 18th and testing, until you have done the nvq.

I’ve approached companies, phone calls, emails and send my CV, told them I’ve completed a Level 2 and I’ve paid to do my Level 3 which starts in February. Own car, own tools, but they don’t have any work, don’t respond or say they can’t take me on. My Level 3 is going to take 8 months to complete as it’s of an evening.

So it looks as though I will have to go back to doing a desk job. You think it would be easier to get a start in the trade. How wrong I was for thinking that way.

I have to admit, i got very lucky getting took on. Out of 20 cvs, i got 2 replies. One was a NO CHANCE , and the other was a very sincere no, but goodluck email.

Don't take the lack of responses personally, my boss gets plenty of cvs and it would take alot of effort reaponding to them all

Have a look at agency work. more chance of local work, reasonable pay and a variety of electrical work and most take ANYONE on :D

The card, ask the lads at college if any are employed and would their bosses help you out with endorsement. point out its just help getting a card, and grasp the labourer card

I have to admit, i got very lucky getting took on. Out of 20 cvs, i got 2 replies. One was a NO CHANCE , and the other was a very sincere no, but goodluck email.

Don't take the lack of responses personally, my boss gets plenty of cvs and it would take alot of effort reaponding to them all

Have a look at agency work. more chance of local work, reasonable pay and a variety of electrical work and most take ANYONE on :D

The card, ask the lads at college if any are employed and would their bosses help you out with endorsement. point out its just help getting a card, and grasp the labourer card

I’ve tried agencies but the cards a must unfortunately. There are no lads on our course in the industry. I will ask the place that I’m doing it if they have any advice. I will phone ECS on Monday and see what they say. Surly it can’t be this hard to get a card.

Reply to ESC Card for Electrical Labourer or Trainee - Help and Advice. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back