Discuss EV charger (for me) - what's the lowdown on the easiest/cheapest way to do it? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Rockingit

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to start some construction projects at my own gaff soon, including sorting out some better outdoor supplies.

Currently have a 32a supply via SWA in what I think (need to check!) is 10mm which the previous installer has conveniently put a junction box join for right where I can interrupt it and put a neat outdoor cabinet and CU in instead, so it makes sense to install an EV circuit and charger at the same time as it's not far from the drive. It also wouldn't be too much work to put a KMF in the meter cabinet and run around to the same position if I decide I need to beef it up. Standard domestic PME supply, don't really want to get involved with earth rods as god knows what's been buried underneath for the last 400 years....

Not had to look at this before - what do I need to know and who's making the most cost effective charging units that do away with all the PEN faff?

There's a chap on here who does lots of them, hopefully he will give you the low down. I have fitted numerous Tesla chargers and Zappis. Never had a callback on the Teslas, they are simple, no frills chargers, includes broken PEN but you may need a type B RCD. Zappis also have PEN protection and can be run off a Type A, had a few issues with Zappis as they do like to do lots of checks on power quality and sometimes they can disappear up their own backside stopping charging for spurious reasons. I sure there are others now as the market has grown enormously

I bet none of them are as cheap as a 32A ceeform, though...

I’ve been doing a few Podpoint solo 3 chargers, no rod needed, simple to install and commission
look quite smart, not sure if they are the cheapest

i think the cheap chargers you need to install a rod and deal with the issues that go with it

There's a chap on here who does lots of them, hopefully he will give you the low down. I have fitted numerous Tesla chargers and Zappis. Never had a callback on the Teslas, they are simple, no frills chargers, includes broken PEN but you may need a type B RCD. Zappis also have PEN protection and can be run off a Type A, had a few issues with Zappis as they do like to do lots of checks on power quality and sometimes they can disappear up their own backside stopping charging for spurious reasons. I sure there are others now as the market has grown enormously
Zappis have their own Type A RCD (+ 6mA DC) built-in so they do not want an RCD upstream. I've lost track of what the others require, but I tend to fit a Matt:e box on Tesla Series 3 charge points (but you need to know beforehand if you have permission to draw >60A as the Matt:e box is pre-configfured.) Their Series 2 does require a Type B RCD, though.

No, quick hotwire, not sure what the car needs to start charging but it cannot be much, lol

Upon connection the auxiliary contacts signal a vehicle is connected, the charge point sends a 1kHz pwm signal.

The pulse width is dependent upon the maximum current that can be supplied, the vehicle then applies a load to the signal connection.

This load is detected by the charge point which energises the main connection (L-N or L1-L2-L3-N) and the vehicle can charge at the maximum of it's own in-built charger or the EVCP whichever is the smaller (as indicated by the pwm signal).

If you connect the vehicle directly, since it doesn't receive a pwm signal it doesn't know what current it can take safely, so will not charge.

If the EVCP doesn't get the load change on the signal line it won't supply power.

I'm going to start some construction projects at my own gaff soon, including sorting out some better outdoor supplies.

Currently have a 32a supply via SWA in what I think (need to check!) is 10mm which the previous installer has conveniently put a junction box join for right where I can interrupt it and put a neat outdoor cabinet and CU in instead, so it makes sense to install an EV circuit and charger at the same time as it's not far from the drive. It also wouldn't be too much work to put a KMF in the meter cabinet and run around to the same position if I decide I need to beef it up. Standard domestic PME supply, don't really want to get involved with earth rods as god knows what's been buried underneath for the last 400 years....

Not had to look at this before - what do I need to know and who's making the most cost effective charging units that do away with all the PEN faff?
I fitted a rolec to mine, the rcd and 6mA protection is all internal, but added a rod for earthing. This was before the introduction in July of the mandatory communication aspect.

I think the zappies look good, but haven't actually fitted one myself.

The only thing that bothers me now, is many manufacturers won't allow you to commission this aspect until you've done their course.

Reply to EV charger (for me) - what's the lowdown on the easiest/cheapest way to do it? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock