Discuss Ex forces looking for advice in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Daryl Green

Hello Guys

Im seeing advice im about to leave the forces and looking to move into a career as a electrician. I am planning on doing a package course with Steve Willis training its 5 weeks and gives me multiple City and Guilds certs see attached picture.

My main question is do you have any advice on seeking employment on completion or is there any Ex forces that have completed the same course and had success or not so much id love to hear from you.

Thanks in advance guys really appreciate your help.

Screenshot_2016-05-03-20-09-47.jpg

Welcome to the forum Daryl.

I've moved this to a more appropriate part of the forum for you.

My dad said the advice is not to tell then your ex forces. He is ex Marines.. But then again my dad dosnt like any one knowing any thing about him
Dam radio ops

2393 is knowing what you need to do but know why you do them.. But is a quick fix
Always under the impression that the part p cource was for electricians who can do the job but no qualifications

I'm not that sure if the cost that good seems a bit high, but north south costs seem to show in cource prices

Daryl, I'm sure the likes of EODNeil will be along soon to explain (patience of a saint that fella), but essentially what they'll tell you is you'll really struggle to do anything other than a bit of house bashing with those qualifications (and most here would probably say you shouldn't even be allowed to do that). You need to look at C&G 2365.

Sure others will be along shortly to clarify further (or use the search function, plenty of threads about this - including one I started myself a couple of years ago) but don't part with your cash (or training allowance) for this.

hey Daryl, hightower has it right with that. there's much better options out there. to be honest that seems like a bit of a joke. you'd learn more working as a mate for a week than in the first week of that course. a load of the stuff in there seems to just be making up numbers, and including a certificate for periodic inspections in a five week course seems to me to be the biggest p-take of it all. i've been learning on the tools for a couple of years and wouldn't dream of going anywhere near one, and there's countless electricians much more experienced than me lacking the knowledge to do them properly, which makes it nothing more than a scam. good luck with what you choose but i'd agree that checking out the 2365 and trying to get working as a mate as soon as possible would be the best.

ADDITION: if i'm perfectly honest, the training centre i went with made the 2365 seem like a moneymaking joke as well and i learnt far more reading by myself and by working than from the course, BUUUT, at least it is the recognised starting point for completing the NVQ/AM2 and becoming a fully qualified electrician. if that's your target you'll likely end up doing it at some point..

Last edited:
Not yet mate, I have all the resources in place except for man power. It's definitely something I will do as there is a lot of call for it with so many people all over the country that have the level 2&3 technical certificates but lack the NVQ. When will you be finishing your level 3?

A while yet buddy, Level 2 should be done in month or so, Level 3 June/July 2017 all being well. Although, I've heard I can start and collect evidence now - what sort of evidence do I need, as in, do I need to get photos of me in the shot all PPEed up, or can it just be photos of installs I've done etc?

Reply to Ex forces looking for advice in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net