Discuss Extractor fan wiring help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking to replace my old extractor fan in the toilet with a new one (Manrose VNF100S).

• There are 4 wires (Red, Blue, Yellow, Green/Yellow).
  • The old fan was operated by switching the light on and would stay on for a few minutes after the light was switched off. There were 3 wires in use which were Red, Blue & Yellow.
  • The new fan only uses 2 wires.
Could you advise which each each of the coloured wires are for and which ones I should use with the new fan.

I've attached some pics to help.

Thanks in advance.

extractor fan.PNG

Your old fan was a timer fan.
Your new one is not. That means the fan may not run long enough to clear the room of condensation, smells, etc. This will cause mould to build up.

You really should have a timer fan, it’s a requirement if the room does not have an opening window.

The trouble with fitting a new fan is you are required to take into account current regs and manufacturers instructions. Does it say on the installation instructions that a 3a fuse must protect the fan? And do you already have that installed (3a fuse) if not you will need to do so. And do you already have a 3 pole isolation switch for maintenence fitted, if not you will probably need to. A bathroom is a special location and requires attention to detail so I think there is something in what @buzzlightyear has advised as there is more to it than you would think.

The trouble with fitting a new fan is you are required to take into account current regs and manufacturers instructions. Does it say on the installation instructions that a 3a fuse must protect the fan? And do you already have that installed (3a fuse) if not you will need to do so. And do you already have a 3 pole isolation switch for maintenence fitted, if not you will probably need to. A bathroom is a special location and requires attention to detail so I think there is something in what @buzzlightyear has advised as there is more to it than you would think.
Why what will happen if a 3amp fuse isnt fitted?

Why what will happen if a 3amp fuse isnt fitted?

Isn't it best to follow the manufacturers instructions, if they state to fit a 3A fuse? Same goes for the isolation switch..

Isn't it best to follow the manufacturers instructions, if they state to fit a 3A fuse? Same goes for the isolation switch..
Depends on the Circumstances, if the manufacturers wont fit anything they require to protect their device thats their issue.

Think we did the fan fuse issue already.
IMO a 3A fuse on a 6A MCB-protected Lightng circuit is pointless…. The MCB will always trip before the fuse blows.
Regs say that MIs should be taken into account though.

Havent heard back from the OP on his fan choice yet. I hope he is alright!!

The 3A fuse is supposedly for fire protection in case the motor seizes, the theory being the fuse will blow before the motor overheats but this theory has been proved to be somewhat hit and miss.

To answer the OP's question. The blue is neutral, marked 'N' on both fans.
Either the red or yellow is the switch wire that you need, but not knowing what 'L' and 'T' are in the original fan, we cant say.
Whichever is left over must be terminated safely, as it will be live.

I am assuming that there is either a 3 pole isolator, or a FCU if the original fan was installed properly in the first place.

On the new fan, the connection label shows L to be a Permanent L?
That's just confusing. Unless you want the fan running constantly.

Thanks littlespark for answering the question regards wiring colouring. I get the impression from all of the above that I need to purchase a better fan with timer and get an electrician in to fit it. Thanks for all your help and advice.

Why what will happen if a 3amp fuse isnt fitted
There was a court case where an electrician did not fit a 3a fuse and the house burnt down from the fan combusting. Of course the manufacturer got off scot free as they recommended a 3a fuse and the electrician in his infinite wisdom decided not to so he went down the pan. I would not like to end up that way.

There was a court case where an electrician did not fit a 3a fuse and the house burnt down from the fan combusting. Of course the manufacturer got off scot free as they recommended a 3a fuse and the electrician in his infinite wisdom decided not to so he went down the pan. I would not like to end up that way
now let me think about that .their is a lot of fans have been put in over many years by sparks ,with out isolators or n/sfuses ,so when I put a fan in next time I will put a n/s f and isolator in ,:D

There was a court case where an electrician did not fit a 3a fuse and the house burnt down from the fan combusting. Of course the manufacturer got off scot free as they recommended a 3a fuse and the electrician in his infinite wisdom decided not to so he went down the pan. I would not like to end up that way
now let me think about that .their is a lot of fans have been put in over many years by sparks ,with out isolators or n/sfuses ,so when I put a fan in next time I will put a n/s f and isolator in ,:D

Only one needed Buzz - don’t overdo it or the discrimination!

There was a court case where an electrician did not fit a 3a fuse and the house burnt down from the fan combusting. Of course the manufacturer got off scot free as they recommended a 3a fuse and the electrician in his infinite wisdom decided not to so he went down the pan. I would not like to end up that way.
You got a link to the court case?

Reply to Extractor fan wiring help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net