Discuss Failed Rolec charge point in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

brianmoooore

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Simple question: Is the charge controller in a Rolec tethered charger different from that in an otherwise identical non tethered one?
The non tethered charger (EVWP2020) serving my holiday cottages failed last week, with the blue light flashing faster, accompanied by a ticking sound, when a charge cable was plugged in. Fortunately I have a spare identical charger, so swapped the charge controller over, and was back up and running in 15 minute.
I'd like to get my 'spare' back in working order again at minimum cost, hence the question. These controllers seem to be like gold dust at the moment, new or second hand, so I'm on the lookout for a physically damaged unit on ebay.
Alternatively, anyone know what goes wrong with these controllers, and is it fixable?

Simple question: Is the charge controller in a Rolec tethered charger different from that in an otherwise identical non tethered one?
The non tethered charger (EVWP2020) serving my holiday cottages failed last week, with the blue light flashing faster, accompanied by a ticking sound, when a charge cable was plugged in. Fortunately I have a spare identical charger, so swapped the charge controller over, and was back up and running in 15 minute.
I'd like to get my 'spare' back in working order again at minimum cost, hence the question. These controllers seem to be like gold dust at the moment, new or second hand, so I'm on the lookout for a physically damaged unit on ebay.
Alternatively, anyone know what goes wrong with these controllers, and is it fixable?
I've seen the RCDin them back itself and burn-up but not seen owt with that charge controller. Contact Rolec and see if it's a replaceable part, may work out cheaper than a whole unit.

Mikey (of Residual Current/Load-out) dropped a Rolec vid where he replaced a socket assembly that had burnt out so it would appear that parts can potentially be sourced singularly. Reach out to Rolec and ask the question. Try them; +44 (0) 1205 724 754

Screenshot_20230423_214230_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230423_214230_Chrome.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The RCBO failures seem to be of the early ones with a blue button and switch. The ones with a green button and switch (like both of mine) are reputed to be reliable.
It's definitely a replaceable part, but, according to Google, new ones aren't available from Rolec at the moment, allegedly because of a shortage of the required 'chips', and consequently this has had a knock on effect on used ones. I found two EV parts suppliers who list second hand ones, but both show 'out of stock'.
There's usually a few complete second hand complete charge points on ebay, some being sold because they've been replaced by 'smart' versions, but quite a few are tethered units with the becoming obsolete type 1 plug on them, and these seem to sell for less.
I've already robbed my spare of its contactor, when the one in use decided to become seriously noisy, with a really harsh, loud buzz. Not so much a problem if the contactor is part of a DOL starter alongside some rattling industrial machine, but not quite so good when it switches on at 1am, a few metres from my bedroom window.

Reply to Failed Rolec charge point in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net