Discuss Feeding domestic db from 3phase db -advice please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All

So i have just got a job of doing a rewire on a small flat, which includes change of DB etc... Currently this is fed from a 3 phase DB in a commercial premises below. The feed cable is over 25m long (16mm T&E). the client has asked for a sub main tennant meter to be installed. At the moment the only downstream protection for the domestic DB is a 50amp single pole type b breaker..
I could do with clarification when i come to install the new tennant meter, if i should be fitting a double pole isolation switch after the meter. (thinking along the same lines as required protection for meter tails over 3 metres.. Ive had a rummage through the blue book of knowledge but can't seem to find the required answer..

thanks Chris

If the T&E is not penetration-safe (i.e. is probably buried less than 50mm below the surface so could be hit by a nail/screw during building work or DIY) then the supply should be a 30mA RCD and that is a whole lot of pain for the client. In that case you should be looking at putting in SWA so it can come off a switched-fuse or (less desirable) a MCB with high instant trip point for selectivity.

What I would be concerned about is selectivity, and if the flat's occupant has access to the commercial DB in order to reset after a fault has tripped the supply.

Depending on the PFC & PSSC at the flat, it is possible that an upstream MCB is OK, but I doubt a B-curve will be. Generally you would want to look at C or D curve so the max PFC/PSSC on the final circuits wont hit the instant trip point., and that generally means the sub-main is working to 5s disconnection and is beyond the < 0.4s that usually you see for magnetic trip.

That is where an up-stream fuse is better, but if going that way you might need to see if you can fit links on the commercial DB so it feeds a fused-switch for the sub-main instead of relying on the MCB.

To answer your origin question (I think) the sub-main already has protection and a means of isolation using the MCB in the commercial DB.

I am not saying it is currently a good means of protection, but it is there, and so it deals with the whole 3m thing (which is really only an issue from the DNO cut-out where the fuse is not under the client's control). Fitting a billing meter after the commercial DB's MCB (or change to switched-fuse) does not really change that.

If the T&E is not penetration-safe (i.e. is probably buried less than 50mm below the surface so could be hit by a nail/screw during building work or DIY) then the supply should be a 30mA RCD and that is a whole lot of pain for the client. In that case you should be looking at putting in SWA so it can come off a switched-fuse or (less desirable) a MCB with high instant trip point for selectivity.

What I would be concerned about is selectivity, and if the flat's occupant has access to the commercial DB in order to reset after a fault has tripped the supply.

Depending on the PFC & PSSC at the flat, it is possible that an upstream MCB is OK, but I doubt a B-curve will be. Generally you would want to look at C or D curve so the max PFC/PSSC on the final circuits wont hit the instant trip point., and that generally means the sub-main is working to 5s disconnection and is beyond the < 0.4s that usually you see for magnetic trip.

That is where an up-stream fuse is better, but if going that way you might need to see if you can fit links on the commercial DB so it feeds a fused-switch for the sub-main instead of relying on the MCB.
Hello thanks for that. i doubt if the client would be wanting to pay for a complete new feed cable as the current one is well an truly hidden in the ceiling of the restuarant !. and the work involved would be huge ! the tenant is currently the chef, but i doubt if he knows where the supply comes from.
I had considered changing the MCB in the commercial board for a D curve and fitting a Wylex type switch fuse with a bs88 fuse...

If the sub-main is not realistically at risk of being nailed during DIY then it is probably fine to leave it. In a restaurant roof is kind of that...

See what the max MCB is that you can get away with for the end of sub-main Zs to meet 5s. If you can change to a BS88 fuse you generally get a better combination of higher Zs for 5s and still enough 'delay' so a down-stream MCB clearing won't take it out.

I had considered changing the MCB in the commercial board for a D curve and fitting a Wylex type switch fuse with a bs88 fuse...
Fitting a fuse after as high a trip MCB as possible might be easier than finding 'links' for the DB, but see what the figures for the sub-main Zs allow first.

If the sub-main is not realistically at risk of being nailed during DIY then it is probably fine to leave it. In a restaurant roof is kind of that...

See what the max MCB is that you can get away with for the end of sub-main Zs to meet 5s. If you can change to a BS88m duse you generally get a better combination of higher Zs for 5s and still enough 'delay' so a down-stream MCB clearing won't take it out.
that sounds like the right solution to me. The 3p DB is a proteus and looking at there product range they do a only seem to do a C curve breaker unto 63amp... but come to think back to looking at the job today im sure the 50amp breaker is only a 6ka capacity... im also considering fitting the new tenants DB as a RCB board to minimise any chance of loosing multiple circuits, although there seem to be only 3 lighting and two radials

that sounds like the right solution to me. The 3p DB is a proteus
You have my condolences...

and looking at there product range they do a only seem to do a C curve breaker unto 63amp... but come to think back
If it is a 3-phase board it should be the "commercial" range and they are 10kA and offer 63A D curve:

But I have no idea of the board you are dealing with, that was just a quick search on CEF.

(To be fair to CEF/Proteus, they actually do decent data sheets for their products)
to looking at the job today im sure the 50amp breaker is only a 6ka capacity... im also considering fitting the new tenants DB as a RCB board to minimise any chance of loosing multiple circuits, although there seem to be only 3 lighting and two radials
Going RCBO is best if you can, and for a handful of circuits the cost is not that much compared to the time you have to charge for in order to fit and test it in any case.

You have my condolences...

If it is a 3-phase board it should be the "commercial" range and they are 10kA and offer 63A D curve:

But I have no idea of the board you are dealing with, that was just a quick search on CEF.

Going RCBO is best if you can, and for a handful of circuits the cost is not that much compared to the time you have to charge for in order to fit and test it in any case.
Yes its a commercial BX type so a 10KA will be spot on... (ps i think they are the ALDI of the db world !)

Reply to Feeding domestic db from 3phase db -advice please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net