Search the forum,

Discuss Fire alarm in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

cristafar

Hi, been servicing a fire alarm and in some areas the devices are sending 3 different zones into fire? The engineer I work with says this is a wiring fault somewhere, I was just wondering how this happens, it's a conventional c-tec 8 zone panel.

Thanks

Chris

Never come across this one before, Logically to activate 3 zones at once the + from all 3 zones must be shorted as they share a common - with all zones and sounder circuits. But can not see them all being shorted and would imagine a fault led on all 3 zones.
Can only suggest at this time to remove all cables from 2 of the effected zones, dont worry about end of line caps, they will just show faults on the zones. then test the 3rd zone and see if the other 2 zones go into fire condition. If they do then panel is at fault. Would suggest doing this test first to save a lot wasted time looking for wiring faults.

Never come across this one before, Logically to activate 3 zones at once the + from all 3 zones must be shorted as they share a common - with all zones and sounder circuits. But can not see them all being shorted and would imagine a fault led on all 3 zones.
Can only suggest at this time to remove all cables from 2 of the effected zones, dont worry about end of line caps, they will just show faults on the zones. then test the 3rd zone and see if the other 2 zones go into fire condition. If they do then panel is at fault. Would suggest doing this test first to save a lot wasted time looking for wiring faults.

good thinking. i would suspect a panel fault.

Thanks tazz, i think that is the best way forward to take out 2 of the zones and see if the panel still shows faults on the other 2 zones. the zones that are effected are 2 4 & 8 and there is no current faults on the panel so this really rules out wiring problems like u say above, the chances are slim to none. thanks for your advice tazz we are back there tomorrow and will update u on the outcome. thanks

Ok when you disconnect zones they will show fault, its fire activation where looking for, will be interesting to have your feed back on this problem
good luck Dave

Reply to Fire alarm in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net