Discuss Fire rated LED profile in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new in this forum thanks for adding me. I did try to use search option with not much luck.
I work at Heathrow as an electrical guy but have not much domestic experience.
Builders building my loft extension and not clear the ceiling roof must be fire rated or not. My property is in Croydon and typical 1930 3 bedroom + 2 receptions type terraced house.
My sparky says ceiling light must be fire rated and I am thinking to get an "in plaster aluminium profile" where not mentioned is fire rated or not.
Could you help me what is an experience with lighting in loft extension please?
Thanks in advance.

what type of light/s are you considering? if downlights, i's go for JCC V50. fire rated integrated, accept insulation on top, selectable colour temp.

There’s loads of fire rated down lights available now. Your other consideration, might be installing one in the confined insulation filled vaulted ceiling of a loft extension. There are some reduced depth ones available, but you might need to see how your building inspector feels about that.

Thanks, I'm thinking to fit 5m long in plaster aluminium profile, flush to plastered ceiling with LED strips inside.
The problem is I can't get information these ones will satisfy the building control.

Making it "fire rated" would be as easy as double boarding and fitting the profile into the outermost layer of board. That way, there's plasterboard continuously behind it. If it's across the narrow apex of the ceiling then it won't need much extra board.
Just whatever you do, don't be tempted, or persuaded, to cut holes in the ceiling (breaching your vapour barrier) and cut holes in the insulation (creating cold spots) to fit recessed downlighters.

Reply to Fire rated LED profile in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock