Discuss Foam or polystireen ceilings in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

BristolSpark

hi

I had a look at a job today and in most of the rooms including hallways upstairs and down stairs was this foam or poly ceiling tiles. I know its a fire risk, but where or what is the procedure when fitting either down lights or pendants in such a circumstance.

Also I was trying to find info regarding the number of downlights allowed in a property. someone said you can only install 8 d/l to every 1 energy saving pendant. Can someone clarify or point me right on this. I assumed you can have as many as you like and just put energy saving lamps in them job done.

cheers peeps

With regards to the amount of downlighters, I don't think it works on a number so to say it works on the total power, and the limit is 1200W per circuit. As a rule of thumb I only install 12 lights per circuit as 12 x 100W = 1200W. I use 100W because you never know if the customer is gonna change the lamps in the future, so I just work off 100W per fitting.

Someone should be able to advise you on those tiles soon, I've never really worked with them.

:D

There isnt really a procedure.

More of a 'dont do it'.

Those tiles are a fire hazard are you mustnt install down lights in them, especially halogen.

If you dont have an option then fit low eergy.

thanks for the replies. I was more concerned with the tiles. But I just thought there was something regarding energy effiency where maybe you were limited to x number of downlights due to there current energy rating.

But I suppose with the way lighting bulbs so to speak have changed it does not really matter now.

My friend did have something from building control with regards to number of downlights though.

But thanks again refering to my question

cheers

You will be ok with pendants on those horrible tiles, with respect to the energy efficient ratio, there are rules for it but you may want to look up on a government website

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Part L of the current UK building regulations[/FONT]​
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Current UK building regulations state (in part L1 of the regulations) that a certain number of dedicated low energy light fittings must be installed within 'new build' UK homes and extensions. Certain rules also apply for 'new build' offices and commercial properties. These fittings must have integrated ballasts within the fitting to ensure only low energy bulbs can be replaced (thus stopping the installation of standard, non-efficient, incandescent lamps in to the lamp holders) [/FONT]​

Agree'd another to watch out for is cool beams ! as issued in 08 in wiring matters about these fitted in a listed thatched cottage where the new owner replaced a blown bulb with one of these and the fitting above had wooden beam preservative on it that had dripped over lamp holder when they replaced the cool beam bulb it ignited and destroyed the roof a simple bulb replacment eh !
Regards
Kung

remember whene installing cables in and around polystyrene that on T&E the polystyrene can act as a plasticiser and damage the insulation so a proper pvc/metal containment system must be installed

Reply to Foam or polystireen ceilings in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net