Discuss frustrated consumer in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

DonaLS

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, We have an Ampy 5235a with a scrolling T and R reading as Our utility meter. Paying well over the odds for duel fuel. We also have photo voltic solar panels and a solar panel meter. What do the R and T mean on utility meter please and which reading do I give to energy company? Something very very wrong going on...any help is greatly appreciated!

You've got solar panels so you have an export reading on the main utility meter.
The supplier needs both R and T to calculate your chargeable usage (import).

If you've had high bills I bet the supplier(s) hasn't deducted the solar generation export.
They'll have been charging you the Total including the Export,
Then paying you for the Export, so effectively you've not been paid for the Solar export.

You've got solar panels so you have an export reading on the main utility meter.
The supplier needs both R and T to calculate your chargeable usage (import).

If you've had high bills I bet the supplier(s) hasn't deducted the solar generation export.
They'll have been charging you the Total including the Export,
Then paying you for the Export, so effectively you've not been paid for the Solar export.
So have I been paying for grid usage and solar import?

So have I been paying for grid usage and solar import?
Have you a couple of recent bills you can remove the personal details from and post here?
it may help us explain what is going on.

Have you a couple of recent bills you can remove the personal details from and post here?
it may help us explain what is going on.
I have readings and bills yes. I have paid just under £4,000 in 22 months for dual fuel. October, November, December £666!! They told me to give t reading, won't accept the R as it is too low!!

Attachments

• 9CE3A0CA-86FA-4B94-AAF7-740CDB231016.png
    189.1 KB · Views: 18
  • B6907874-F5F6-4E8C-A449-FAD56C2345C1.png
    648.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 49B6EF44-5FEC-4326-A092-EF771573C4AD.png
    408.9 KB · Views: 19
It looks like your tariff is not taking your solar export into consideration.
I could be wrong but it doesn’t look like you are on a feed in tarrif

Not making much sense, maybe someone else knows more but i didn’t think you could have 2 accounts for the same property.

I believe feed in tariff stays with the original supplier.

BULB are useless, my mate has just left because of them over charging and it was only as he left they sorted it out.
With the O.P's meter and how it's set up they can only get true usage by having BOTH T and R

When you say accounts, do you mean one company for solar and one for utilities? Sorry, this is all well out of my "female" depth ?
@snowhead makes sense to me, some of these energy company’s ways make no sense to anybody.
male, female, non binary, Martian .
from road sweepers to nuclear physicists, they have some magical way to confuse us all.

Just Googled the Feed in payments.

There are only a few large suppliers who dealt with Feed in payments, if you change to a small supplier like the O.P has with BULB then the feed in payment stays with the previous supplier.
If you change to a new supplier that does handle F.I.T payments you can change that as well to the new supplier,, and breath.

Back to the O.P,
Have the Energy bills ever been what YOU would call reasonable and it's changed over time or have you moved in to somewhere with high bills.

Just Googled the Feed in payments.

There are only a few large suppliers who dealt with Feed in payments, if you change to a small supplier like the O.P has with BULB then the feed in payment stays with the previous supplier.
If you change to a new supplier that does handle F.I.T payments you can change that as well to the new supplier,, and breath.
Why is there an r and t on Our utility meter though? I have Googled this meter and the only ones I can find with those readings on are meters for solar panels...

The Energy generated also passes through the main energy meter so the supplier has to deduct this if the main meter, like yours, doesn't show Generated export separately.
Thank you. So I am being charged for usage and what also is generated? Sorry, someone has already answered this but I can't find it now, what does the R reading stand for?

Reply to frustrated consumer in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net