Discuss Gas pipe earth bond. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

hoover

-
Reaction score
Hi all. Can anyone tell me if it is acceptable to bond the gas pipe outside of the house rather than just after it enters? The problem is I have to bond a gas pipe- it was noted on a recent pir that it wasn't done, problem is it enters the house through the roof space of a two storey house, miles away from the fuse board. Getting an earth cable up there may be tricky. Looking an easier way out.

sometimes you can only bond where you can get to, providing its as close as possible and a note made on certificate stating where it is and why then no major issue.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ that's the one Lenny, OK external if there is a gas meter enclosure, or you can adapt some kind of enclosure around the pipe and label it, but left open to the elements IMO would not be acceptable.

I have just been informed by my electrician that we have to bond our gas pipe. The problem is that the gas meter is within a housing on the front external wall of my house and apparently he has to connect this back to my fuse box etc which at the farthest point on the rear of the house. Running this through the house is not an option, and the only opther idea he has is to run a conduit right around the perimeter of the property which will be an eyesore! Are there any other options? Can it just be earthed straight to the ground or is this something different?

I have just been informed by my electrician that we have to bond our gas pipe. The problem is that the gas meter is within a housing on the front external wall of my house and apparently he has to connect this back to my fuse box etc which at the farthest point on the rear of the house. Running this through the house is not an option, and the only opther idea he has is to run a conduit right around the perimeter of the property which will be an eyesore! Are there any other options? Can it just be earthed straight to the ground or is this something different?

The method your electrician has suggested is quite a common one, if you cant get to it through the house.

and until carlsberg make wireless bonding , you're stuck with it. the only other option would be to bond nearer to the CU, but that would contravene the " within 600mm of the point of entry" .

FROM CHRIS MURPHY - I HAVE ALSO POSTED THIS REPLY ON ANOTHER THREAD ABOUT EARTHING A GAS PIPE - ALSO IN ANSWER TO dboi75 - THIS IS WHY THERE IS A REFERENCE TO WHETHER THE GAS SUPPLY TO THE METER WOULD BE OF MILD STEEL PIPEWORK:

"Hello dboi75",

The Electrical Professionals on here WILL advise You correctly regarding Earthing the Gas Pipe to your Property - BUT - First a comment regarding whether the Gas Supply Pipe to the Meter is `Coming into Contact with Earth`:

Depending on the `Age` of this Gas Supply Pipe to the Meter it may NOT be a Mild Steel Pipe - The Practice of siting the Gas Meter outside a Property is a fairly recent one [Last 20 Years approx. in most cases] - This time scale would fall within the period where `Plastic` Gas Supply Pipework has been used - with Electrofusion Jointing.

So it does NOT necessarily follow that the Supply Pipe to your Meter is Mild Steel - Even if it was the Earthing of the Gas Supply Pipework FROM the Gas Meter TO your Property has to be carried out in the `Correct Manner`.

However - I did raise a point on here recently about WHY Electricians who I had used to Earth the Gas Pipework that I Install did NOT usually want to run the Earth Cable TO the Meter Box / Within 600mm of the Meter Outlet - and there were some comments about the Earth Connection being applied - `As the Pipe Enters the Building` - IF You can get confirmation of this as being an `Acceptable`/ `Within the Regulations` Method of connecting the Earth Cable to the Gas Pipework it would obviously be YOUR `Best Way` of adhering to the Electrical Safety Regulations.

Your Electrician obviously DOES NOT Feel that He can Adhere to the Regulations by doing this - OR He would have mentioned doing it this way ?

I thought that I should mention this to you - Just in case that it CAN be done this way [?]

I expect that there WILL be Conflicting Opinions about this `Method` of Earth Connection !

Chris - Registered Gas Installer / Heating Engineer.

Last edited:
earth bonding?....gas and water pipes are extranious conductive parts......that is to say that they do not form part of the electrical system within your home and as such are "bonded".....exposed conductive parts are conductive parts that form part of the electrical system and as such are "earthed"......

Isn't there a reg somewhere that if copper water pipes can be confirmed continuious, then it is permisable to use them as conductors. I may be completly wrong, but I have a recolection of that from somewhere. Sorry i'v not got my book on me to check!

I had a customer who bought a new house in 1979 I did a PIR and found that both the gas and water was not earthed at all and he was not a happy bunny when I told him he would need to comply he inferred that I was just creating work for myself so you cannot win them all with comments like what has gas and water pipes to do with an electrical installation.

On a personal not my gas meter was moved outside 10 years ago the rest of the street got it done 6 months ago I got a card that basically said warning you do not have an earth cable at your gas meter and therfor do not comply with the current 17th edition so I dont know if they were trying to scare me to get them to do it at acharge no doubt or they were doing their legal duty in informing me.

well theres 542.2.1 and 542.2.4......
542.2.1: earth electrodes.
suitable earth electrodes shall be used. the following types of earth electrode are recognised for the purposes of the regs.....
earth rods or pipes
earth tapes or wires
earth plates
underground structural metalwork embedded in foundations
welded metal reinforcement of concrete (exept prestressed concrete) embedded in the earth
lead sheaths and other metal coverings of cables, where not precluded by regulation 542.2.5
other suitable underground metalwork

a mettalic pipe for gases or flammable liquids shall not be used as an earth electrode. The mettalic pipe of a water supply company shall not be used as an earth electrode. Other mettalic water supply pipework shall not be used as anearth electrode unles precautions are taen against its removal and it has been concidered for such a use.

a protective conductor may consist of the following
a single core cable
a conductor in a cable
an insulated or bare conductor in a common enclosure with insulated live conductors
a fixed bare or insulated conductor
a metal covering, for example the sheath, screen or armouring of a cable
a metal conduit, mettalic cable management system or other enclosure or electrically continuous support system for conductors
an extranious-conductive part complying with regulation 543.2.6

exept as prohibited in regulation 543.2.1 an extranious conductive part may be used as a protective conductor if it satisfies all the following requirements
electrical continuity shall be assured , either by construction or by suitable connection, in such a way as to be protected against mechanical, chemical or electrochemical deterioration
the cross sectional area shall be at least equal to that resulting from the application of regulation 543.1.1
unless compensatory measures are provided, precautions shall be taken against its removal
it has been considered for such use and, if necessary, suitably adapted

I dont know if this will help...but its there anyway....

That last one was the one I was thinking of. To my eyes that says that in certain instances, A water pipe could be used to provide a main protective bond to another service...(Holds can of worms away from face)

Reply to Gas pipe earth bond. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net