Discuss general query about the 2391 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

with the supply isolated disconnect main earthing conductor from met at single phase board and record result as Ze on schedule of test results for single phase board:cool:

I just failed miserably on the practical today. Only myself to blame.However I was led to believe all testing would be done on the main rig...... wrong.
I started filling out the 12 observed faults on the answer paper.........wrong, the cover was off the c/unit so how could I note a lack of danger notices, the cracked ceiling rose I was told was not a fault, the conductor that popped out of its terminal the moment I handled the switchplate was also not apparently supposed to be a fault there was no cord grip on the flex pendant in the ceiling rose, that's in addition to the moulded strain pillars in the base of the c/rose, never heard of them before neither has anyone else apparently.... by now I'm losing confidence.
It gets worse by the time I move to the main rig which has dimmer switch that falls apart as soon as I try to disconnect it.
The MICC is disconnected in the d/b because the crimp termination in the pot at the connection unit is faulty, a verbal reading for R1+R2 is given to me. The contactor cover has no fixing screws it is only held in place by the isolator after removing this I have great difficulty in replacing because the isolator doesn't clip correctly to the DIN rail. I have to remove conductors to link together for the continuity test and find it almost impossible to replace the conductors feeding the socket. Screws are missing all over the place, the consumer unit has none. The wiring in both the units is awful, nearly all conductors need restripping and terminating. The linking wire provided needs repairing when the tiny and I mean tiny croc screw falls out on the floor, took ages to find. The tools provided are s... screwdrivers need sharpening,all terminal screwheads are damaged it's a nightmare disconnecting anything and then reconnecting.
I could go on, I probably have, too much that is!
So next time ( which will be at a different centre) I take my own toolkit and meters. Like I say I can't blame anybody but myself but this rig was in apalling condition.

I've been to colleges in Scotland,England and Australia.All the materials,tools and equipment are pretty much of the same standard i'm afraid.The budgets don't stretch too far.

Best thing to do is talk your way through the test as your doing it.i.e.Tell him what your doing and why,what sort of test results you should expect and whats wrong if you don't get the results.

That way at least your demonstrating your technical knowledge and ability and that is pretty much what their looking for.

If there is terminal screws missing tell them,if the lugs are rounded-tell them,if the cables are now too short to terminate-tell them,if its dangerous to turn a circuit on-tell them why.

Does any of this make any sense?

Anyone agree?

I've been to colleges in Scotland,England and Australia.All the materials,tools and equipment are pretty much of the same standard i'm afraid.The budgets don't stretch too far.

Best thing to do is talk your way through the test as your doing it.i.e.Tell him what your doing and why,what sort of test results you should expect and whats wrong if you don't get the results.

That way at least your demonstrating your technical knowledge and ability and that is pretty much what their looking for.

If there is terminal screws missing tell them,if the lugs are rounded-tell them,if the cables are now too short to terminate-tell them,if its dangerous to turn a circuit on-tell them why.

Does any of this make any sense?

Anyone agree?

I agree mate. But surely it is the centre's responsibility to make sure the rig is to spec. That only the C&G specified faults exist. And that all terminations are in good order.

Reply to general query about the 2391 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net