Search the forum,

Discuss ground source heat pump!? in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hi folks have a job coming up to price and heating is underfloor via a gshp, single phase supply and running on econmy7 tariff i believe, i havent wired a heat pump before and waas wonderin if some of u hav any experience in this type or similar system and cud give me some pointers as to wat details i need for 1st fix, iv done underfloor b4 but not by a heat pump, wat wiring does this system require? how is it controlled? hot water is by solar. any info from any1 who has previous experience of these systems is much appreciated so as i kno wat questions i need to be asking and im not walking into it blind, thanks in advance.

Try writiN dat agen n comprehensible eng I c%d point U 2 a past thread on d subjec.

For the benefit of others:
Try writing that again in comprehensible English I could point you to a past thread on the subject.

I've just done one (may be the thread Tony was referring to?) and they can be fraught with issues. For starters, I'm not sure how trying to run one on E7 would work, as if it's also producing DHW then it certainly won't happen during the day. You need to pay careful attention to assesing the loading characteristics (often 40-50A), and if the property is fed from the overhead network then you'll be wanting to check with the DNO with regards to Flicker / interference and their acceptance of that unit plugged onto their network.

As far as 1st and 2nd fixes go, the one I've just done was so complex with a whole host of different sensors, LV & 230, zones, solar assists etc that I went through seven adaptable boxes, 6 contactors, about 2 rolls of cable, glands etc etc and it became a whole project all in it's own right. So pay attention to every last sentence in the installation manual and take your time - don't underestimate on the costs!!

I've just done one (may be the thread Tony was referring to?) and they can be fraught with issues. For starters, I'm not sure how trying to run one on E7 would work, as if it's also producing DHW then it certainly won't happen during the day. You need to pay careful attention to assesing the loading characteristics (often 40-50A), and if the property is fed from the overhead network then you'll be wanting to check with the DNO with regards to Flicker / interference and their acceptance of that unit plugged onto their network.

As far as 1st and 2nd fixes go, the one I've just done was so complex with a whole host of different sensors, LV & 230, zones, solar assists etc that I went through seven adaptable boxes, 6 contactors, about 2 rolls of cable, glands etc etc and it became a whole project all in it's own right. So pay attention to every last sentence in the installation manual and take your time - don't underestimate on the costs!!

I have done one recently too, although not quite as complex as the one described above. The two things I would say is 1) Get as much system info beforehand as possible. It might be that the manufacturer/supplier of the kit has designed a system layout and maybe even a wiring diagram too. 2) If you have to price this, allow plenty of time and then a bit more time. They are quite fiddley, head scratchy exercises. But nice to do something different.

All the best.

Don't know yet!! Some snotty sneary M&E firm have declared that 'the electrician doesn't know what he's on about' and tried to tell everyone that it will only ever run at 2.5kW....the manufacturers own commisioning engineer has told me that's balls and that it's likely to be running flat-out in this application at 3 x 3kW elements whenever they want DHW, I've insisted on getting an exemption from them for the certs, the client knows all about this now and is happy to not spend £4k on the tx change unless they have to (fair enough) so it's left as a 'suck-it-and-see' exercise.

And I learned last night that for the third time, the manufacturer still hasn't been able to do the final commision because the system has leaks!!

Sounds wonderful. Get your money and run if you can.

See the other thread running on this rather mute point over in the Arms!

Let us know how you get on with this as I have one to wire up in the not too distant future that has been plumbed in buy the client, 'Could be very interesting'

I had not installed one until recently
I sought advice and was given very useful information by Rockingit and many thanks to him again

By the sounds of the description of his system it is much more complicated than the one I was involved with

The info I had to begin with was very vague
I ended up running a 10mm supply to a dedicated consumer unit that supplied controls,heat pump ,immersion heaters and a 8-way panel for zone control using radio stats

I was sceptical about how efficient the system would be,but am amased at how much heat it actually collects
I also understand more of the technology of these systems after having to get more informed,but not informed enough to give advise unfortunately
The immersions in the system, are apparently more for standbye and prevention of legionaires,that was something that hadn't twigged with me until I was informed of it
I suppose it may be many moons until I get to work on one again, if ever,but the experience was worthwhile

honestly mate is it worth the frickin hassle , these heating systems ya know what the simpliar the better remember you,ve to fix it if not working

hi folks have a job coming up to price and heating is underfloor via a gshp, single phase supply and running on econmy7 tariff i believe, i havent wired a heat pump before and waas wonderin if some of u hav any experience in this type or similar system and cud give me some pointers as to wat details i need for 1st fix, iv done underfloor b4 but not by a heat pump, wat wiring does this system require? how is it controlled? hot water is by solar. any info from any1 who has previous experience of these systems is much appreciated so as i kno wat questions i need to be asking and im not walking into it blind, thanks in advance.

having seen your pic i will come and help you darlin lol
speak to the plumber whos doing the work he will give you the info

one of our clients has them taking heat from the bed of canal and the resultant heat is surprising BUT when heat requires topped up is when costs rocket I think theirs is fed by 16mm and their own engineer said that the promisis werent being delivered fully but it was hard to prove

Reply to ground source heat pump!? in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net