Discuss Have we been duped? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

we have had a heating system installed via the government grant and part of it we needed to have extractor fans in our bathrooms. Fair enough, we could do with them anyway.

our house is a dormer bungalow and I didn’t want a hole putting through the cladding but thankfully the air flow in the roof space was enough.
The fitter was here for about 1hr 30 and fitted 2 fans. One an explair the other an addvent. Both look cheap as chips.
The fitter the. Told us he had fitted a thermostat to the fan so it would t come on every time, just when it was warm enough and also a timer so it wouldn’t come on at night. And in fact told us we’ll probably never hear them come on unless it was really hot.
I have a feeling he hasn’t connected them up at all.
What’s your throughts? They just stuck a fan to the ceiling so they can take a picture and get paid out for the grant?

Sounds suspicious to me.
normly The covers just pull of the fans, can you see any wires when cover is removed?

Take the covers off and post a few pics on here , I could do with a good laugh
Got the cover off one. The other seems to be screwed. I’ve checked the model number and cheapest one on screwfix

I wouldn’t mind but they insisted they were fitted. Apparently they could t sign the grant off without having fans installed. I just think it’s an extra few hundred on the grant form for them and 2 holes in the ceiling for us.

Bunch of cowboys. The whole heating installation was a joke but we got a free Worcester 30i boiler and smart tech so bit my tongue.

D95F4974-73FF-4EE2-B50E-070787789D5C.jpeg
2A0D15E0-357E-407D-8BB4-A2559FAB0F23.jpeg

Hi

we have had a heating system installed via the government grant and part of it we needed to have extractor fans in our bathrooms. Fair enough, we could do with them anyway.

our house is a dormer bungalow and I didn’t want a hole putting through the cladding but thankfully the air flow in the roof space was enough.
The fitter was here for about 1hr 30 and fitted 2 fans. One an explair the other an addvent. Both look cheap as chips.
The fitter the. Told us he had fitted a thermostat to the fan so it would t come on every time, just when it was warm enough and also a timer so it wouldn’t come on at night. And in fact told us we’ll probably never hear them come on unless it was really hot.
I have a feeling he hasn’t connected them up at all.
What’s your throughts? They just stuck a fan to the ceiling so they can take a picture and get paid out for the grant?
Not sure what the relation between heating and extractor fan is in a bathroom? There are humidity controlled ones, but they are expensive and have a humidistat, not a thermostat...

The pic you've shown appears to be connected (badly) - those sort usually come on when the light comes on, off otherwise...

Where does it vent? Hopefully not just up into the loft, but out via a soffet perhaps via ducting?

The cable presumably goes up into the loft - it might be possible to trace it and see if it goes anywhere. But a fan that cheap won't ever be quiet enough not to hear when it's on!

Not sure what the relation between heating and extractor fan is in a bathroom? There are humidity controlled ones, but they are expensive and have a humidistat, not a thermostat...

The pic you've shown appears to be connected (badly) - those sort usually come on when the light comes on, off otherwise...

Where does it vent? Hopefully not just up into the loft, but out via a soffet perhaps via ducting?

The cable presumably goes up into the loft - it might be possible to trace it and see if it goes anywhere. But a fan that cheap won't ever be quiet enough not to hear when it's on!
It’s a dormer flat roof, although there is a gap and the. Into the main loft, there is plenty of air flow through there to be fair.

I bet if I find the wires, they’ll not be connected to anything. Never fans have come on... ever.

I’m not overly bothered as the bathroom needs to be re done so it’s not a big deal to get rid of it or get a proper one wired in.

the reason for installing the fan (apparently) is due to having insulation added ??‍♂️

just seems it a firm that are scamming the grants. But I got a boiler so can’t complain too much.

None of this makes any sense at all... Firstly, I've never heard of a fan that is designed to extract heat out of a bathroom via a thermostat. And secondly, I've never heard of a fan that just extracts into a roof space... regardless of how well ventilated it may be ! All very bizarre...

As above it is all rather bizarre. As already mentioned some fans incorporate humidistats but have never heard of a thermostat controlling a fan of that type. As for the timer this isn't out of the question but I would have thought you would have ready access to it. I don't suppose there is an isolator somewhere which isn't switched on.

Can you show us the “thermostat” that he fitted?

So now you have basically a hole from your steamy bathroom up into a space where there’s exposed timbers?
Your going to get damp problems up there, and there is sufficient airflow, it must be pretty cold in the bathroom!

TBF I think the OP either misunderstood/misheard the term humidistat and thought it was thermostat, or the fitter misrepresented humidistat as thermostat.

I see this a lot, humidistat is such a rare term, members of the public just hear thermostat!

It is quite normal to fit fans with humidistats these days, on via the lights, off by lights/humidity.

Although that fan does not contain any run-on device by the looks of it.

To the OP, that does need looking at by an electrician.

I can see that in order to comply with a grant there may be clauses demanding that the ventilation has to be brought in line with building regulations if the heating is upgraded.

To answer the question.... someone has been duped. Not you directly, but the grant giver.
The firm that did this shouldn’t be given a penny.
if a fan is required, then core through the wall. It’s not that difficult, (depending on wall thickness)

Reply to Have we been duped? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net