Discuss Help with 'fast track' courses. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all, I am 33 years old looking to train as an electrician. I have looked at apprenticeship options and at fast track options. I am struggling to find a fast track option that I am confident in and was wondering if there any reputable ones out there?
The apprenticeship option is looking very difficult financially without losing all of my savings. So I will probably prefer the fast track option.

Thanks,

There is a low minimum wage for first year adult apprentices and after that national living wage would be the minimum rate of pay. That doesn't mean an adult apprentice will necessarily earn low wages.

If you're new to the trade it may be difficult to find an apprenticeship offering better wages, but experience counts and you won't know what's on offer until such times as you start looking for prospective employers.

If you take the fast track option, you still have to gain the same knowledge and experience as everyone else and I'm not sure a combination of completed modules with no experience would help achieve a decent wage in the short term.

Whichever route you take, a good work ethic and an employer who recognises it is probably key to best possible earnings.

There is a low minimum wage for first year adult apprentices and after that national living wage would be the minimum rate of pay. That doesn't mean an adult apprentice will necessarily earn low wages.

If you're new to the trade it may be difficult to find an apprenticeship offering better wages, but experience counts and you won't know what's on offer until such times as you start looking for prospective employers.

If you take the fast track option, you still have to gain the same knowledge and experience as everyone else and I'm not sure a combination of completed modules with no experience would help achieve a decent wage in the short term.

Whichever route you take, a good work ethic and an employer who recognises it is probably key to best possible earnings.
Thank you for your reply. I am not needing massive wages low twenties would be ok, but I don't know if that is achievable by taking either route?

Thank you for your reply. I am not needing massive wages low twenties would be ok, but I don't know if that is achievable by taking either route?

If you mean low twenties as an annual wage, it should be possible to start an apprenticeship at that sort of rate provided you have some experience.

If you mean starting hourly rate, that I'd say no chance.

Remember that an apprentice is not just working, but also receiving an education which takes time out of the day of whoever you're working with.

If you mean low twenties as an annual wage, it should be possible to start an apprenticeship at that sort of rate provided you have some experience.

If you mean starting hourly rate, that I'd say no chance.

Remember that an apprentice is not just working, but also receiving an education which takes time out of the day of whoever you're working with.
Yeah sorry should have said per year. My experience is of PAT testing and installing domestic appliances like cookers and hobs for Currys. But don't know how much weight that carries.

Yeah sorry should have said per year. My experience is of PAT testing and installing domestic appliances like cookers and hobs for Currys. But don't know how much weight that carries.

Not everyone will take an adult apprentice, but there will be people happy to do so as it's more likely they have a decent work ethic and be keen to learn, than a teenager.

Finding an apprenticeship as an adult can be a hard slog, but (imo) well worth the effort. Fast track is certainly an option, but not as fast as one might think as you'll still need experience of work to gain an NVQ and face an uphill battle to gain knowledge and experience which can't be taught from books.

Reply to Help with 'fast track' courses. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net