Discuss Help with online NIC Certificates in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

V

Videodoctor

Our company has started filling out the NIC certificates online and i would like a question clearing up.

If we do an electrical inspection on a property then we fill out the 9 page Inspection report and if we do a job(say a new consumer unit) then we fill out a Completion certificate.

If we do a job where we go specifically to bring the property up to standard and issue a completion certificate then do we also have to fill out the inspection report one aswell.My father seemed to think that the Nic guy said you had to fill out both but surely this is like filling out the information twice?

So does anyone know if you have to fill out both forms even though the customer only wants the completion certificate?

Last edited by a moderator:
From what you are saying above you seem to be indicating that your "completion certificate" is an electrical installation certificate.
and the 9 page inspection report is an electrical installation condition report.

If you are doing an inspection of a property then you would fill out an electrical installation condition report.
There would be no other paperwork required to give to the customer (though a covering letter is usual).

If you are doing work on the electrical installation then, if it is not a new circuit or new consumer unit just an alteration or addition, you would complete a minor works electrical installation certificate; for new circuits / consumer units you would fill out an electrical installation certificate.

If you inspected the property and also did some work there then you would need to issue an EICR for the inspection and the appropriate installation certificate (MEIWC / EIC) relating to the work you have done.

For domestic customers where the work comes under the notifiable work for Part P then you would need to notify your scheme provider of the work done and they would inform building control and issue a building regulation compliance certificate to the customer.

Thanks Richard Burns,your answer is the one i was looking for.

I have got the titles wrong as you pointed out.I am a bit old school and we used to call the Domestic electrical installation certificate a 'completion' certificate and the Domestic electrical installation condition report as a 'inspection' report.

Ok so you issue them with the EICR and on the defects you would have stated that the CU needs upgrading and is correctly coded with a reason why.? You then issue the cert to the customer. Then when you have changed the CU you must fully re test the house and issue a EIC to the customer. They then keep this with the EICR to show that they have rectified any defective items.

Its ok if the customer asks for the property to be tested first and issue a EICR but sometimes customers already know that the property isn't up to standard.They don't want to pay for an inspection.They want you to go and put everything right .ie. new consumer unit,bonding etc and then issue a EIC when its all up to standard.What i am getting at is that to fill in the 9 page EICR is time consuming and if the customer doesn't want to pay you for it and only wants the EIC then what do i do?

If the customer has called you in to fix specific problems then your EIC will cover those specific problems.

If the customer says fix everything that is wrong, but do not do an inspection, then you have to point out to them that you will not be able to identify everything wrong without doing a full EICR at that cost. You could offer a discount on the EICR if you get the remedial work (as it will be easier for you because everything has been tested). There is no point in completing an EICR unless you have done the full range of inspection and testing required, otherwise it is just a form full of limitations and is worthless.
I had a customer who asked me to sort out his installation but not do the EICR that I recommended, I fixed what I could see was wrong but later he was angry at me because there was an electrical fault on his socket circuit, I pointed out that I had said I could only find that sort of fault by doing a full I&T.

Reply to Help with online NIC Certificates in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net