Discuss Hi new to the group and after advice. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi there new to the group so maybe posting in the wrong section so any direction would be much appreciated.

I am looking into becoming an electrician and have applied to quite a few apprenticeship schemes over the last 6 months with no avail, this may be to do with me being 34 or maybe not. In previous employment did a level 2 nvq air con and refrigeration and about 4 years on the job but didnt get on well with the industry, I then worked for 4 years with a range of plastics machinery on a range of mechanical and electrical jobs, maintenance repair, installation mainly as a fitters mate.

I have experience with electrical fault finding, wiring mainly of 3 phase motors and heating elements and their thermo coupling controls, also cable puling of quite large section armoured cable with tray and containment install and termination all under the supervision of my boss who was a fully qualified electrical engineer. After leaving that job to spend a couple of years in canada i finally realised that I enjoyed mainly the electrical aspect of all my previous roles and would like to undergo further training electrically.

Ideally an apprentice route would be my preferred choice but not gonna hold my breath on that so was thinking about starting with a cscs card and maybe part p and 18th edition and trying some local companies as a labourer and at some point try studying the c&g courses part time evening and weekend.

I suppose after all that Im wondering has anyone gone down the labourer route and managed to succeed in gaining the knowledge and experience to become a competent electrician or is this a dubious option and should I still just pursue someone to take a punt on an older but experienced and sensible apprentice.

TIA if you read all that rambling

at 34 you will not get an apprenticeship as 1. you are too old (all due respect) and 2. you could not survive on apprenticeship wages.

getting a cscs card and applying for jobs as an electrician's mate, either direct or through a parasite an agency to get an income and learn different techniques, meanwhile studying the theory in your spare time. if you can do the 18th course and exam, that will stand you in good stead as in getting employment. as radiohead pointed out. part pee is just a building regulation yuo can download, and only applies to domestic works anyway. so don't be conned into paying out for a meaningless course. finally, whatever you decide, good luck.

Good luck, and may I point out (again) that part P is not a qualification so please don't be fooled into a part P course.
Agree and this is why misinformed people with a BS regulation update and the ubiquitous "Part P qualification" and consider themselves as qualifications, are only fooling themselves, and any potential customer.

Can anyone help i finished my am2 Wednesday morning I know it says up to 5 working days for results but did anyone get them before hand and if so how long cheers. Gav

Reply to Hi new to the group and after advice. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock