Discuss High earth loop impedance in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Nickj

-
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am studying to be an electrician but outside of the classroom I have little experience.

A friend has bought a house and during the buying process had an eicr with unsatisfactory result.

Reading the report it shows the ring and shower circuit to have high earth loop impedance.

I ran the test myself today and the earth loop impedance on the ring and radial are around 40 ohms, which is what the eicr also shows.

I have checked the wiring of all the sockets and all seem to be terminated correctly.

r1, rn and r2 for the ring all seem fine.

According to the report the Ze is also fine.

What could be causing this?

I suspect a problem with one of the other circuits, would I be going down the right alley with that assumption?

Thanks,

Nick

Welcome to the forum. Can you add some further information..
What type of system is it?
What is the Ze?
What results did you get for r1, rn, r2 & R1+R2?

How many ohms are there in a 'fine'?

What are the readings for L-N loop impedance? What type of test did you use, low current or high current?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's a tn-s, Ze on the eicr is 0.3.

R1 0.14, rn 0.14 r2 0.22. I ran out of time and didn't take r1 + r2 of the ring (it's not on eicr) I did no testing on radial, shower or other circuits.

From the eicr

shower earth loop impedance 42.3
ring 43 (confirmed with my meter today)
radial 42

It's a tn-s, Ze on the eicr is 0.3.

R1 0.14, rn 0.14 r2 0.22. I ran out of time and didn't take r1 + r2 of the ring (it's not on eicr) I did no testing on radial, shower or other circuits.

From the eicr

shower earth loop impedance 42.3
ring 43 (confirmed with my meter today)
radial 42

Are these circuits on the same RCD and if so are there other circuits on this RCD?

Yes all on same RCD

shower 40A
radial 20A
Ring 32A
central heating 16A
cooker 32A

not on Rcd
spare
spare
lights 6A
lights ground floor 6A
lights 1st floor 6A

Are these circuits on the same RCD and if so are there other circuits on this RCD?
see where you're thinking. had similar where the excessive reading was caused by internal "resistance" of a RCD. one way to confirm would be to take readingss by this method on hi current test.

High current Zs test with RCD.jpg

diagram by courtesy of richard burns.

Hello,

thanks for for the responses!

telectrix, if I do that test and confirm it is the rcds internal "resistance" then would it need to be replaced?

thanks

not necessarily. in the event of a fault, due to the higher current generated, the RCD impedance would probably be negated. also, there's the get-out 1667 value where a RCD is installed on the circuit/s.

Thank you.

So if by calculation I get an acceptable Zs (and also an acceptable one using the method described above) and the rcd trip times are < 40ms (which they are on the eicr) it would be acceptable to leave the rcd and installation as is (being safe)? putting those values of 40+ down as a quirk of rcd design

nick

Hi Andy,

i did did not measure those, the eicr has the cooker at 0.43 and the central heating at 1.44.

the eicr has the radial at 0.83, however I recorded the radial at 42 so unsure if the electrician doing the eicr did the radial, central heating and cooker by calc.

Hi Andy,

i did did not measure those, the eicr has the cooker at 0.43 and the central heating at 1.44.

the eicr has the radial at 0.83, however I recorded the radial at 42 so unsure if the electrician doing the eicr did the radial, central heating and cooker by calc.
I would check the Zs values of the other circuits on the same RCD to confirm the thinking.

Hi Andy,

the eicr has the radial at 0.83, however I recorded the radial at 42 so unsure if the electrician doing the eicr did all but the radial, central heating and cooker by calc.

Those could be worth investigating to see if the high loop readings are consistent across all the circuits that are protected by the RCD. If not then a point of high resistance common to the first three circuits would seem logical. It's not unknown for breakers to be installed incorrectly on the busbar, or for multiple sections of busbar, or even cable links, be used to make up connections between breakers for instance.

Just a quick update to thank you all for your help.

I solved the problem today and it was caused by a very high Ze. The electrician that wrote the eicr stated he measured a Ze of 0.3. This was clearly made up because when I checked the cable was tarnished and the resistance of the cable alone was > 2 ohms! (I forget the actual reading).

I used some wire wool to clear the tarnish and re-ran the earth loop impedance on all circuits. All well within allowed values now.

Thanks again

Nick

Reply to High earth loop impedance in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net