Discuss Hive heating question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I believe the OP has worked for a customer, and had no idea Hive was involved. No-one would assume an immersion circuit to powering anything else if it wasn't marked on the DB.
The Hive install could have been done by BG... or by the customer themselves. Cant blame the OP for not knowing it was there.

In that case it is wired incorrectly. The Hive MUST be powered from the same source as the boiler. The heating system must have only one point of isolation.
It sounds to me like someone has added the Hive and used the Immersion circuit as the power source, with the bopiler being on a different circuit/source. The power must come from the boiler's live and neutral.

Sounds like you have more work to do........

Will be going back tomorrow to check, although i suspect the hive may not be on immersion circuit (although it could connected somewhere obscure).
While eliminating the immersion (no cb's are marked on old cu) I switched a few other circuits and may have switched the hive/boiler off (and back on again).

This is why i asked the original question, " If a hive system is switched off/on at the mains, does the system revert back to the boiler settings {and the hive need to be reset}" ?

I asked this as Im not familiar with hive systems, im not asking how to wire a plug ffs; in all honesty I think this thread has come across like a snail on speed.

Last edited:
Easiest way to check it is by pressing the central heating button on the hive receiver.
If this brings the boiler on then the customer needs to phone the geek squad and they will talk him through it.
Could be customers account, broadband speed etc.

This is assuming that there is power to the hive receiver.

To update, got a late response from customer this morning saying its sorted itself out ?!! Maybe (probably) they did not have the router switched on or their phone was playing up/bad internet connection ect. Anyhow will know if this happens agin

Reply to Hive heating question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net