Discuss Hot Tub in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Ok so wiring hot tub question. Wiring from Panel in garage to hot tub on patio. Plan because of layout, is to run MC 6/3 with insulated ground from panel to to junction box, At junction box splicing in AWG 6 THHN (for outside run above ground along foundation) through conduit to the GFCI disconnect. From there I will use liquid-tight to hot tub as you would expect. My question as, I have heard mixed things, can I run the MC from panel to PVC junction? My thought was no as I was under the impression that i could not, however I was told this can be done. I want to know that info is correct as I would then plan to use a PVC junction and run the THHN through a PVC conduit to the disconnect.

Thanks

Basically I am asking if I can connect MC cable to a PVC junction box. I did not think this was allowed for bonding reasons, however I was told since I have the MC coming off the main panel this is not an issue. I just want to know if that is correct. Plan is once at junction to spice to THHN for the outdoor run via conduit if the above is correct I would prefer to use PVC junction and conduit to disconnect. Hope this clarifies things. Yes this is in US.

Basically I am asking if I can connect MC cable to a PVC junction box. I did not think this was allowed for bonding reasons, however I was told since I have the MC coming off the main panel this is not an issue. I just want to know if that is correct. Plan is once at junction to spice to THHN for the outdoor run via conduit if the above is correct I would prefer to use PVC junction and conduit to disconnect. Hope this clarifies things. Yes this is in US.

We're predominantly UK on here, but we do have some members from the US, and hopefully they can help.

Short answer, yes.
From the info you're giving me, it's fine. Just make sure your connections are secure & appropriate for the application.

Short answer, yes.
From the info you're giving me, it's fine. Just make sure your connections are secure & appropriate for the application.

Having said that, the problem I've had in the past with this is, the threads on the MC connector can be too short to fully engage the locknut, inside the PVC box. The box thickness can be prohibitive to securing the MC connector. What I've done in the past is thread the MC conn into a 1/2" rigid coupling & use a 1/2" chase nipple inside the box.
Be safe.

Ok so wiring hot tub question. Wiring from Panel in garage to hot tub on patio. Plan because of layout, is to run MC 6/3 with insulated ground from panel to to junction box, At junction box splicing in AWG 6 THHN (for outside run above ground along foundation) through conduit to the GFCI disconnect. From there I will use liquid-tight to hot tub as you would expect. My question as, I have heard mixed things, can I run the MC from panel to PVC junction? My thought was no as I was under the impression that i could not, however I was told this can be done. I want to know that info is correct as I would then plan to use a PVC junction and run the THHN through a PVC conduit to the disconnect.

Thanks
MC cable is approved for wet locations and don’t run liquidtite install Carlon flex which is much cheaper and easier to work and the disconnect that you have added is not a bad thing but for single family dwellings it’s not required. You could install your GFCI breaker in the panel that you are feeding it from. Good luck with your project

Reply to Hot Tub in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net