Discuss Conduit size for 200 foot run to sub panel in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

khdetw

DIY
Reaction score
I am adding a 60 AMP subpanel for a detached garage/workshop with a 200 foot underground conduit run from the main panel to the sub panel. Planning to use schedule 40 PVC. I have consulted with a local electrical inspector and determined that I should use 2 2 2 4 Aluminum THHN/THWN. However he recommends 3 inch conduit which is 3x the price of 2 inch, adding over $600 to the job. The rationale is that the pull will be easier. The run has two 45 degree bends underground. I am thinking 3 inch may be excessive - Would 2 inch conduit be acceptable?

I am adding a 60 AMP subpanel for a detached garage/workshop with a 200 foot underground conduit run from the main panel to the sub panel. Planning to use schedule 40 PVC. I have consulted with a local electrical inspector and determined that I should use 2 2 2 4 Aluminum THHN/THWN. However he recommends 3 inch conduit which is 3x the price of 2 inch, adding over $600 to the job. The rationale is that the pull will be easier. The run has two 45 degree bends underground. I am thinking 3 inch may be excessive - Would 2 inch conduit be acceptable?
Rethinking, I should probably go with a 100 amp sub panel for future proofing.

For that, what I believe I need is 2 inch schedule 40 PVC conduit, Aluminum THWN 3 x 1/0 AWG plus ground which could be smaller wire.
I calculated that is less than 20% fill for a 2 inch conduit. Is that reasonable for a 200 ft. pull?
The conduit run is 200 ft. with two 45 degree bends underground .

Also I am seeing examples of installing wire as conduit is laid (vs. pulling). Is that a viable approach?

For that, what I believe I need is 2 inch schedule 40 PVC conduit, Aluminum THWN 3 x 1/0 AWG plus ground which could be smaller wire.
I calculated that is less than 20% fill for a 2 inch conduit. Is that reasonable for a 200 ft. pull?

Also I am seeing examples of installing wire as conduit is laid (vs. pulling). Is that a viable approach?
Sorry

You can use 2 inch PVC schedule 40 and the only setback is when you start pulling the wire in the pipe. Let’s hope that you have help. Good luck

You'd end up buying a 100 amp panel anyways, because the scale they're manufactured end up cheaper than non-typical equipment, and often come with some breakers included. NEC requires no more than 100' of conduit between pulling points, but I'm not sure if that also applies to outdoor buried conduit. Also according to NEC, conductors are not to be drawn into any raceway system until the raceway has been completed. Were I you I would consider direct-burial cable readily available for this purpose, and only sleeve the cable as it exits the trench and requires protection above ground. Schedule 80 is required where subject to damage. (Above ground.) If your panel will have more than 6 circuits, it requires a main breaker, requiring you to buy a main rather than a 100 amp sub-panel which would be main-lug. But that barely affects it price, however you might need an accessory ground bar kit depending on the brand of panel you choose.

Reply to Conduit size for 200 foot run to sub panel in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net