Discuss how do these cowboys get away with it in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

BES

Hello
When to price job today bathroom lighting and fan looked at job no problem. Asked customer where cu was in brand new kitchen i asked who done electrics got told kitchen fitter arranged electrician. Looked at cu 16th board looked again the busbar hadnt been cut !!! so it was attached to main isolator and rcd. Explained to customer the problem and tested rcd to show her it would not operate due to how the busbar had been fitted and the dangers due to this she said electrician doing kitchen never said anything . Asked if he had left any paperwork or certs and if any testing had been done oh what a suprise nothing. The new cables in cu so called electrician had put in were that long you could have put a exra rfc and no bonding to water in kitchen. Explained part p to her and what sould have been done telling her hope the work he has done is ok as it may involve dismantaling her lovely new kitchen .Advised her to get kithen fitter back and ask him why no testing was done and no certs issued and if electrician was qualified and registered to do this work.

simple advert from the governing bodies would fix it ,

if safestyle windows can afford a bald chappie going out on the bcc , surely our fee's would cover that!

Competence is the Key word here... registered or not, i know a few established sparkies still 15th on paper but know their 17th better than most, yes from customers point of view its a substantially lower risk if they had used a fully registered sparks but as ive seen its not always the case.... plenty paper sparkies out there who install dodgy work.

True darkwood as dp says need more public awareness as mosty people you ask wouldnt dream to employ a non registered gas fitter this is due to most people are aware of corgi as was but not electrical never heard of niceic never mind napit or elecsa or how dangerous electricity can be.

I agree - if you hire a registered electrician to change your consumer unit you will know that not only he/she has at least done it before in their own home for their assessment, but they can also look stuff up in a book.

Competence is the Key word here... registered or not, i know a few established sparkies still 15th on paper but know their 17th better than most, yes from customers point of view its a substantially lower risk if they had used a fully registered sparks but as ive seen its not always the case.... plenty paper sparkies out there who install dodgy work.

I fully agree
however dodgy workers can never be stopped. thats a fact of life ! lol

but at least registered tradesmen will at least have a knowledge of how it should be done.
You'd be suprised at the amount of bulders/plasterers /brickies that THINK they can do 'lectrics' round my area, is where most of my work comes from.

Customer awareness is the key . today i atteneded a EICR and removed a dangerous situation where 5 sockets in a conservatory were supplied via 1.5 twin ( not t+e) .
when loading up the van i saw through the window the guy reconnecting it . he had done all the wiring himself, hence the 3 pages of observations.

I wrote to my LBC asking for some coverage about part P in the local free papers, or their magazine they distribute. The letter got forwarded to the senior guy there several weeks ago but not heard back from him.
Basically, they have enough to do without worrying about something which we spend hundreds of pounds a year trying to get right, so they don't seem at all interested!

I agree - if you hire a registered electrician to change your consumer unit you will know that not only he/she has at least done it before in their own home for their assessment, but they can also look stuff up in a book.

or ask for advice on here, maybe.

I fully agree
however dodgy workers can never be stopped. thats a fact of life ! lol

but at least registered tradesmen will at least have a knowledge of how it should be done.
You'd be suprised at the amount of bulders/plasterers /brickies that THINK they can do 'lectrics' round my area, is where most of my work comes from.

Customer awareness is the key . today i atteneded a EICR and removed a dangerous situation where 5 sockets in a conservatory were supplied via 1.5 twin ( not t+e) .
when loading up the van i saw through the window the guy reconnecting it . he had done all the wiring himself, hence the 3 pages of observations.

The rewire I am carrying out at the moment has been an eye-opener for me. I have seen many cases of DIY electrics over the years, but the sheer scale of what the previous owner did is unbelievable...
Spurs off spurs off spurs...cables changing size several times supplying many different types of equipment....literally dozens of JB's, none of which have the sheath entering them...cpc's cut off outside the JB's...the list goes on.

Some owners treat electrics like decorating a xmas tree..... simples.... but even mess that up and your house burns down, i can only say its like BBQ-ing in that its the mans area and men like to go Ug ug!!.... but i only know a few mates who can actually turn out a decent BBQ without under and over cooking things but it never stops the rest from repeating their mistakes everytime the sun comesout..... just glad beer dampens the taste buds.

Are you suggesting that scheme membership criteria should include being a member of electriciansforums.net?
Well it could be an optional extra for free, I suppose. But, thinking about it, they'd probably charge for that.

The rewire I am carrying out at the moment has been an eye-opener for me. I have seen many cases of DIY electrics over the years, but the sheer scale of what the previous owner did is unbelievable...
Spurs off spurs off spurs...cables changing size several times supplying many different types of equipment....literally dozens of JB's, none of which have the sheath entering them...cpc's cut off outside the JB's...the list goes on.

That sounds like my old house :)

after I rewired it ;)

Here's a little sample :)
2012-09-11 13.12.51.jpg

Reply to how do these cowboys get away with it in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net