Discuss How much is an apprentice worth in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

G_FUNK

hi all,

So its october now and i have just started my third year at college as a apprentice im 25 years old (yes late starter). I passed my 2330 level 2 first time with a distinction and a credit in my AM 2 practical exam. And i work souly in the domestic area in the west midlands.
In the work place i find my self introduced to the client and my boss gives me a brief run though the job and then im left to it start to finish. This can be any think from fitting down lighters in a bathroom to extention wire ups or part rewires. Im left responsiple for the all testing and inspecting and filling out of the paper work after all of my work. All he does is sign the certificate and look over it to ensure every think looks right.
I find my self doing the full testing (and paper work to go with it) after i or he has carried out DB change then as im testing i have to carry out a periodic inpestion report and write out what is wrong with every think room by room. Then he quotes for it and i do the correction work. All of my work is to BS7671 and i have a good understanding of the regs. I work mostly independently and can start and finish a job down to the tee, paper work, as fitted drawing, circuit shedules, max demand calcs, lighting lay out drawing, marking up the board and filling out and putting the correct stickers on the board at the end of the job. I have to explain to the client about the new rcds and rcbos and give them a hand over walk round. All the info a cleint gets at the end of a job in a hand over document: paper work, as fitted drawing, circuit shedules and light lays drawings is all my own work apart from the final invoice.

So just wondering how much i am really worth? As my pay rise took me to ÂŁ200 after tax per week. I was hoping for at least ÂŁ220 after tax per week as i feel i have a lot of responsibilities and my work isnt realy checked 100% as my boss knows im competent.
What are electricians paying their apprentices? Would be nice to know if im being a bit short changed!
so fellow apprentices reading this what are you paid and what are your responsibilities? And employers what are you paying your lads? And do they have as much responsibility as i have?

Funny thing.. we had a NICEIC inspection earlier this year so that the company could go approved.
So one of the jobs the company i work for showed the NICEIC, was a full rewire that i had fully tested and inspected and worked on before the NICEIC inspestion. All the testing and paper work was filled out and the job was fully tested top to bottom start to finish by me on my own. Now my boss must trust me as, he double checked none of my readings. All he did was check the paper work and calc that Ze + r1 + r2 equaled roughly the Zs reading that i got. And the NICIEC guy checked the results his self at the board and watched my boss test at the board and checked my boss results with the certificate that i filled out with my test results.
The NICEIC guys final comment to my boss was "Your testing is good then, every think is fine here and all adds up and look correct"

many thanks for reading

Last edited by a moderator:
Id go work for yourself mate, Go Self Employed. Why line someone elses pockets when you could line your own. Is that money weekly mate and what area of the country are you from??

Cheers

Thats ÂŁ200 a week after tax. Im not fully qualified yet so it would be very hard for me to work for my self like right now. Not impossible but very hard. oh and i work in the west midlands

finished my apprenticeship 6 years ago and i was in the same boat as you almost, maybe worked for a larger firm sounding from your post, but basically my 2 pence worth would be check the JIB web site under apprentice rates and compare, you would be surprised at the percentage of apprentices who are working for WAY under the JIB rate. another bit of advice, get some commercial experience under your belt if you feel you are at the top of your game on the domestic front! house bashing gets extremely boring and its not were the big doe is

hi all,

So its october now and i have just started my third year at college as a apprentice im 25 years old (yes late starter). I passed my 2330 level 2 first time with a distinction and a credit in my AM 2 practical exam. And i work souly in the domestic area in the west midlands.
In the work place i find my self introduced to the client and my boss gives me a brief run though the job and then im left to it start to finish. This can be any think from fitting down lighters in a bathroom to extention wire ups or part rewires. Im left responsiple for the all testing and inspecting and filling out of the paper work after all of my work. All he does is sign the certificate and look over it to ensure every think looks right.
I find my self doing the full testing (and paper work to go with it) after i or he has carried out DB change then as im testing i have to carry out a periodic inpestion report and write out what is wrong with every think room by room. Then he quotes for it and i do the correction work. All of my work is to BS7671 and i have a good understanding of the regs. I work mostly independently and can start and finish a job down to the tee, paper work, as fitted drawing, circuit shedules, max demand calcs, lighting lay out drawing, marking up the board and filling out and putting the correct stickers on the board at the end of the job. I have to explain to the client about the new rcds and rcbos and give them a hand over walk round. All the info a cleint gets at the end of a job in a hand over document: paper work, as fitted drawing, circuit shedules and light lays drawings is all my own work apart from the final invoice.

So just wondering how much i am really worth? As my pay rise took me to ÂŁ200 after tax per week. I was hoping for at least ÂŁ220 after tax per week as i feel i have a lot of responsibilities and my work isnt realy checked 100% as my boss knows im competent.
What are electricians paying their apprentices? Would be nice to know if im being a bit short changed!
so fellow apprentices reading this what are you paid and what are your responsibilities? And employers what are you paying your lads? And do they have as much responsibility as i have?

Funny thing.. we had a NICEIC inspection earlier this year so that the company could go approved.
So one of the jobs the company i work for showed the NICEIC, was a full rewire that i had fully tested and inspected and worked on before the NICEIC inspestion. All the testing and paper work was filled out and the job was fully tested top to bottom start to finish by me on my own. Now my boss must trust me as, he double checked none of my readings. All he did was check the paper work and calc that Ze + r1 + r2 equaled roughly the Zs reading that i got. And the NICIEC guy checked the results his self at the board and watched my boss test at the board and checked my boss results with the certificate that i filled out with my test results.
The NICEIC guys final comment to my boss was "Your testing is good then, every think is fine here and all adds up and look correct"

many thanks for reading
About as much as they can carry:rolleyes:Only kidding,couldn't resist

Funny that coz im about the same mate. 26 y/o 3rd year apprentice comin out with about the same money. Prob not as advanced as you with regards to testing to be fair tho.

Think wot it boils down to is how much you want 2 be in the industry. You quite obviously are worth more money than you are getting, but (in the nicest possible way) that aint your boss' problem! Its his company, he took the risk of setting up, its his work and his profit (that you make for him!).

With the way things are mate id just prob stick it out, get your 2391 (asap) then go for it on your own. And if thats not your game your gonna be pretty employable to larger companies in a year or so with extra quals and experience.

All the best mate

ps. Ask 4 more money! wots the worst that can happen!

i can carry loads mate and still take **** off the boss and give him some back
I would stick with it mate,just bantering.The way things are at the mo,just keep looking and keep hold of the job you have now.Things will hopefully pick up soon.Good luck

finished my apprenticeship 6 years ago and i was in the same boat as you almost, maybe worked for a larger firm sounding from your post, but basically my 2 pence worth would be check the JIB web site under apprentice rates and compare, you would be surprised at the percentage of apprentices who are working for WAY under the JIB rate. another bit of advice, get some commercial experience under your belt if you feel you are at the top of your game on the domestic front! house bashing gets extremely boring and its not were the big doe is

If the company is not JIB then they don't have to pay the JIB rates for apprentices.

Hi mate I was in the same boat a few years ago, But I did ask for a pay rise for when I finished at college, after that he turned a bit funny then told me he'll aft to let me go:rolleyes:

Then the next company I went to was so much diffirent, it was a lot better with regard to being respected and pay. Untill it went bust. But over time you reliase that it dosent matter were you go to work and how much better it is. Your only making them money that could be all yours, after all you have earnt it:D.

But untill then mate just buy your time and get as much experiance as you can cuz if you ever do go on your own you will need it as well as your contacts:)

Reply to How much is an apprentice worth in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net