Search the forum,

Discuss i am thinking about starting an electrician course in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

ektoras

i am thinking about starting an electrician course i live i plymouth
need some advise please... which places have got a good reputation
for people with no experience etc thanks luca

all depends on yor age, whether you can get an apprenticeship and do a proper course to become a proper time served spark, or pay out for a short course to be a domestic installer.

Not to be rude, but if you want a rewarding career, then electrical work is not for you.

Under-appreciated, underpaid, and cutting eachothers throats to get work.

Not to be rude, but if you want a rewarding career, then electrical work is not for you.

Under-appreciated, underpaid, and cutting eachothers throats to get work.

summed up in a nutshell.

If you head out of England, over the bridge into Piskieland, there's an industrial estate round the back of the petrol station at the top of the hill (opposite side to Carkeel) and in that industrial is a training centre that is run through Cornwall College or something. Worth trying there mate.

Hi telectrix, i don't mind paying out for a course and hopefully become a domestic installer
the thing is after i finish the course don't want to end up working for big companies just for pocket money
for years to come just to gain work experience

thanks for your msg Billyhas but i will give it a try
as the old saying goes " he who dares wins" any advice would be appreciated
many thanks

thanks for your msg Billyhas but i will give it a try
as the old saying goes " he who dares wins" any advice would be appreciated
many thanks
Just remember, without proper training and experience, 'he who dares tends to **** things up', with danger resulting.

Hi telectrix, i don't mind paying out for a course and hopefully become a domestic installer
the thing is after i finish the course don't want to end up working for big companies just for pocket money
for years to come just to gain work experience

The thing is, this is what you have to do to make money, otherwise no company will take you on, so you will be just another DI with no experience scraping about for domestic work up against a load of other DI's and real sparks who also do domestics.... Experience and word of mouth built up over years is worth it's weight in gold.

It's not all doom and gloom, but short courses to become a DI are nothing more than a scam.

Apprentice / adult trainee collage and work based is the way to go.

HTH

It's not all doom and gloom, but short courses to become a DI are nothing more than a scam.

Sounds like yet another Lamb to the slaughter!!

Make you wonder what sort of mentality these people have, if they honestly think they can become an electrician in 17 days/5 weeks!!! God help us all!!!

Sounds like yet another Lamb to the slaughter!!

Make you wonder what sort of mentality these people have, if they honestly think they can become an electrician in 17 days/5 weeks!!! God help us all!!!

Course you can become a fully competent and qualified sparks in 17days....i just chose the 3 and half year apprentice route because im a massive mug :dots:

Hi engineer54 i don't mean to take a course in 17 days/5 weeks and become DI. I know it does not work like this. i intend to do a course over 2 year period and gain some experience as well

Hi engineer54 i don't mean to take a course in 17 days/5 weeks and become DI. I know it does not work like this. i intend to do a course over 2 year period and gain some experience as well

So what is you're goal?
How do you intend to gain experience?

hi n9wo83 in the 2 year diploma is it included any apprenticeship in in or do they send you on sites to gain work experience

PGL in Exeter are excellent. They do the short courses and the 2 year diploma. Can't recommend them enough.

So what course did you do with them, ...one of the short courses presumably?? I'd hate to even think about how much the fee's are with PGL mob, for this so called 2 year diploma!! lol!!

well it`l be 3 years at college...not 2 and then finish your time with your employer...
anyway how old are you?.....theres money available for employers to take on (i think)....upto the age of 24 that is.....

I would get used to a lot more posts like this, it's new year....new start and all that, every year without fail come 1st week in January there will be another new Electricians van(s) in the area, yet more competition ect, nothing wrong in this I suppose, I wonder if the plumbing trade have this

Re: Folder gluer machine, Folding and gluing machine, Folder gluer machine manufactur

Like many others I thought that being a spark was a quick thing to do - its not, it takes time and dedication. I started thinking a year or two in college and I would be away to go, I was really wrong. After level 2 comes level 3 and then the level 3 NVQ and then the 17th ed regs course (you need a level 3 qualification and the 17th ed regs course to join an approved scheme for a start - you cant do DI work without those quals) and the inspection and testing not to mention the AM2!!!! Thats not even if you decide to go down the HNC route or get an apprenticeship. The only reason I am carrying on with it is because I find it really interesting - if it makes me some money in the future then great. Then when you have all that you need a good rep and real world experience. If I had known what it was going to take to become a spark then I would have done plumbing ha ha.

Re: Folder gluer machine, Folding and gluing machine, Folder gluer machine manufactur

Like many others I thought that being a spark was a quick thing to do - its not, it takes time and dedication. I started thinking a year or two in college and I would be away to go, I was really wrong. After level 2 comes level 3 and then the level 3 NVQ and then the 17th ed regs course (you need a level 3 qualification and the 17th ed regs course to join an approved scheme for a start - you cant do DI work without those quals) and the inspection and testing not to mention the AM2!!!! Thats not even if you decide to go down the HNC route or get an apprenticeship. The only reason I am carrying on with it is because I find it really interesting - if it makes me some money in the future then great. Then when you have all that you need a good rep and real world experience. If I had known what it was going to take to become a spark then I would have done plumbing ha ha.

Pretty soon angry hoards of them will descend on this forum blowlamps primed and lit
It could be water torture for you Spark2be :wink:

If only that was TRUE!!
Unfortunately it's NOT, all these 17 day whizzers and Electrical Trainee's need to join a scam provider and practice electrical work in someone home is the 17th ed open book qualification.

You are correct however, if you are talking about being a JIB graded electrician...

No engineer54 it changes from April 2013 you need a level 3 qual and the 17th regs course. I was joking about becoming a plumber lol - electrical theory is actually really interesting.

No engineer54 it changes from April 2013 you need a level 3 qual and the 17th regs course. I was joking about becoming a plumber lol - electrical theory is actually really interesting.

We'll see!! Don't hold your breath on that one, it'll cost them dearly!! They will undoubtedly find ways around anything, that will see a decline in growth and profits!! lol!!

Been in the game for over twenty odd years and sadly the industry has fallen into a hole which has got deeper each year. This has been made worse by all these scam schemes encouraging
immigrant labour giving them licence to become so called "qualified' and then go and carry out sub-standard work at ridiculously low prices with the money then being sent out of the country. I like many a time served spark is now wondering if there is a viable future in this industry worth staying involved for.

We'll see!! Don't hold your breath on that one, it'll cost them dearly!! They will undoubtedly find ways around anything, that will see a decline in growth and profits!! lol!!
Call me an old cynic if you want mate but I reckon what the scams will do is offer conditional acceptance onto the DI register providing THEIR L3 qual is completed within a certain timeframe as THEIR qual will be better than anyone else's.
I believe it's an NVQ that's going to be the reuirement though, all the same they'll be offering them.

Been in the game for over twenty odd years and sadly the industry has fallen into a hole which has got deeper each year. This has been made worse by all these scam schemes encouraging
immigrant labour giving them licence to become so called "qualified' and then go and carry out sub-standard work at ridiculously low prices with the money then being sent out of the country. I like many a time served spark is now wondering if there is a viable future in this industry worth staying involved for.
It's not just immigrant labour mate so you can't blame them for this. How many times have you seen posts from brits on here telling us their fully qualified scam members and askeing how to do the most basic task

Even the once reputable J.I.B grading scheme has been made a mockery of by the amount of non english speaking labour freely wielding gold cards and technician gradings when actually put to the test cant even correctly wire a basic 2 way lighting configuration.

Call me an old cynic if you want mate but I reckon what the scams will do is offer conditional acceptance onto the DI register providing THEIR L3 qual is completed within a certain timeframe as THEIR qual will be better than anyone else's.
I believe it's an NVQ that's going to be the reuirement though, all the same they'll be offering them.

The PAT C&G qualification is deemed level 3, so maybe they'll use this as a wiggle move!! lol!!! :smilewinkgrin:

It's not just immigrant labour mate so you can't blame them for this. How many times have you seen posts from brits on here telling us their fully qualified scam members and askeing how to do the most basic task
No they aren't solely to blame but the influx of unskilled people instigated the chaos. These now ill prepared scammers come about by adopting the same approach as them and who can blame them. The attitude seems to be one of "if they can do it i will to" This now leaves the trusted time served spark out on a limb as the majority will now prefer to pay less and hope for the best rather than be assured a quality job at the right fee.

Lol you don't even need to be a spark to do PAT 2377!, when I worked at tech we were letting the better 2330 lev 2 students do it!

Exactly!! It is not worth a carrot, ...and should never have been classed a level 3 qualification!!
It's just another money making farce for the C&G institution...

To sign off someone else's work I believe

EDIT:- Not sure where I heard that I'm afraid!

Last edited by a moderator:
you needed the 17th edition anyway,....so nowts changed there then.....oh, and the `nvq` for acceptance onto a scam is dumbed down for DIs.....its level 2.....

Reply to i am thinking about starting an electrician course in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net