Discuss in after a cowboy, cooker nearly burnt the house down! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

as archy said its the cooker not the unit,you could drill as many holes as you want but a cooker is going to get very hot,the unit shows no sign of burning bar one bit on the rhs which could have happened when it caught fire,the cooker looks more damaged on the lhs while the unit shows no damage on its lhs

there are only so many causes of excess heat. 1. undersized cable. 2. underrated accessories. 3. poor connections. 4. naff ovens. once you have eliminated 1,2,and 3, then there's your answer.

Can people stop saying the kitchen is a special location please!

Think they may be referring to the "part P definition" here , not a bs7671 though. (YET)

Have to eat humble pie here , not practicing what I preach ; Kitchens in part P are not defined as a "special location" in the updated 2110 version. Sorry about that Rise:dunce2:

Last edited:
Not sure about who calls what for kitchen installations. I know that i always take that little extra care of installations located in kitchen areas, especially within commercial kitchens. In a domestic installation the chances are, if something is going to go wrong, it's far more likely going to be in that kitchen area!!! lol!!!

Definitely , I think Part P realize who they have let lose in domestic kitchens an gave them the badge of legality lol.

Have to eat humble pie here , not practicing what I preach ; Kitchens in part P are not defined as a "special location" in the updated 2110 version. Sorry about that Rise

sorry if that came accross as me not showing gratitude, i am greatful for all input on this thread and wasn't arguing with you, but i just can't see how page 28/9 clearly lays out the requirements, to me it's consfusing! for a start it says "TT conduit installations". i've had a good poke about the house, not seen any conduit yet. so does that apply?
may be 16th edition install....using a 100mA s type RCD incomer....then 30mA for outlets expected to be used for feeding outdoor equipment....

here is the finished article, new cooker base, a grill at the front and i've just removed the rear panel so air can flow right underneath.
IMG_1493.jpg

I've left it like that for now, after speaking to a few kitchen fitters they all said that the outside of ovens get hot, but generally they are fine as long as theres some air movement nearby. also i spoke the the argos technical helpline, they said it does not mean the oven is faulty if it's getting hot on the outside. it's installed as per the manufacturers instructions, on a dedicated circuit, with an isolator above the worktop, with 30mA RCD protection with a new base complete with vent. I don't think i could have done any more

I've left it like that for now, after speaking to a few kitchen fitters they all said that the outside of ovens get hot, but generally they are fine as long as theres some air movement nearby. also i spoke the the argos technical helpline, they said it does not mean the oven is faulty if it's getting hot on the outside. it's installed as per the manufacturers instructions, on a dedicated circuit, with an isolator above the worktop, with 30mA RCD protection with a new base complete with vent. I don't think i could have done any more
Keywords, at least you're covered if it burns the house down... :lol:

Reply to in after a cowboy, cooker nearly burnt the house down! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net