Discuss in after a cowboy, cooker nearly burnt the house down! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

my tuppence worth is..... EICR for £150.get the cash in your pocket, then quote for new CU, bonding, new cooker circuit £750.

I disagree, if fitting a new board then all circuits will be protected with 30mA protection so the 100mA could be binned and an isolator fitted in it's position or tails sent straight into the board.

Have to agree. For those that keep referencing the OSG, start quoting the Regs as that's what we work to? Where do the Regs require a 100mA RCD time delayed, or not?

Yes , you do.
Any cable you install thats buried in the wall needs to be rcd protected , so if youre spurring off a socket for the cooker , then the ring needs a rcd.
Either that or surface fix cable.
well...yes...if at a depth of less than 50mm without an earthed metallic covering such as a conduit....its TT however so i would recommend the RCD be replaced with a 30mA one....its upfront feeding a BS3036 board so it doesnt need 100mA for discrimination purposes does it.....if the c/u is also feeding a garage circuit then the 100mA stand alone RCD could be used to feed that....but i would suggest that a 30mA RCD be used to provide additional potection for all other final circuits....it is of course only a recomendation....it would be up to the client/person ordering the work as wether they wish to procede...or not....

Just think of all the regs that come into effect when you have a job to do which is paying little also in these economic times, I sometimes ask is it worth it. Not many other trades who have all these things to think about, and headaches.

Just think of all the regs that come into effect when you have a job to do which is paying little also in these economic times, I sometimes ask is it worth it. Not many other trades who have all these things to think about, and headaches.
well when i have to think about something sedg...my head dont ache....how about you?

Ha lol I see what your getting at
My headaches come from 7,8,9 different jobs with different problems which come to lite
not 1 little domestic problem in 1 day.

Your repaired well tel, I would do the same fed up almost every customer pleading poverty these days
yep. 1st decent bit of plumbing i've seen for ages. just still sore where they cut me to insert the tubes.

went there today and did an EICR, all circuits were fine suprisingly (ring with 12 points, lighting circuit with 7 points and a shower) and there is bonding installed to the gas and water upon closer inspection, and no earth rod. it looks to me like the supply has been made into a T-NCS outside, but not inside a the service head??

edaa7b81.jpg

6ccffd69.jpg

outside i can see a cable coming from what looks like the sheath of a supply cable being connected up to the neutral tail. the 2 tails grouped at the top go all the way along the row of houses and into every house, the 3rd one at the botom just runs straight accross, i lost sight of it as i couldn't go through the end garden. if i test at the top of the main switch with N+E probes on the N I got 0.13 ohms, if i test with the earth on the MET (with only bonding connected) then the reading is 4.9 ohms.
so, i don't really know what sort of supply it is. I am going to have to make an enquiry to the DNO on monday morning. but what do you lot think?

went there today and did an EICR, all circuits were fine suprisingly (ring with 12 points, lighting circuit with 7 points and a shower) and there is bonding installed to the gas and water upon closer inspection, and no earth rod. it looks to me like the supply has been made into a T-NCS outside, but not inside a the service head??

edaa7b81.jpg

6ccffd69.jpg

outside i can see a cable coming from what looks like the sheath of a supply cable being connected up to the neutral tail. the 2 tails grouped at the top go all the way along the row of houses and into every house, the 3rd one at the botom just runs straight accross, i lost sight of it as i couldn't go through the end garden. if i test at the top of the main switch with N+E probes on the N I got 0.13 ohms, if i test with the earth on the MET (with only bonding connected) then the reading is 4.9 ohms.
so, i don't really know what sort of supply it is. I am going to have to make an enquiry to the DNO on monday morning. but what do you lot think?
saw something similar a bit back....had been on a rod..but was TN-C-S overhead...they had left a cable clipped direct to the outside wall of the property tapped off the overhead neutral...this cable was just cropped at the base...not good....i got the DNO out to sort it.....

phoned DNO, was told it should all be PME. so i said where shall i put the earth then as theres nothing at the service head! i think they are coming out to sort it tomorrow, I had to get the customer to phone them and sort it out between themselves apparently

well the DNO are being pretty useless at the minute, after they told me to get the customer to call them, when the customer phoned up they said they needed to speak to the electrican so i got a call back, i've spoke to several different people now as i keep getting passed about, they seem very reluctant to come and change the service head, yesterday they said "can you not must put an earth rod in?"
supposed to get a call back about it today but not heard owt. boloody useless. the DNO is electricity northwest btw

This is how things stand :
The customer is responsible for any dealings with the elecy board , its their property and they pay the bill - got nowt to do with you or any other spark so dont get involved other to advise your customer.
They're just dragging their feet because any repairs will be at their expense so tell the homeowner to stand firm and insist on at least a site visit by one of their engineers.

seems backwards to me, i explained to the customer what the situation so she could liase with the DNO direct and she was just baffled with terminology and started panicking when i said theres no incoming earth. hows she supposed to explain to the DNO what the problem is if she doesn't know herself? i'll speak to the customer again tomorrow and explain the hold up.

Reply to in after a cowboy, cooker nearly burnt the house down! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net