Discuss Install of extractor fan for bathroom in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

edrobbo8

Had a builder call me on Friday, saying he has a bit of a problem. To cut a long story short, the spark who has done some work on this bungalow (upstairs converted to bedroom with semi enclosed bathroom) did not put an extractor in as apparently he was asked not to by home owner. LABC came round and said even though there is a Velux window in bathroom, it needs an extractor as well.

Owner doesn't want extractor to be turned on by light, wants it off seperate switch, LABC said this is fine. There is a socket outlet on wall with shower on the other side, and she wants the power to come from there, up the wall via FCU and to extractor so it can be turned on and off by the switch, alongside shower on/off switch. All works have been done, ceiling is plasterboard and decorating etc has all been finished (no entry to loft space either, centre of shower is about 500mm from exterior wall). Shower tray to roof height is 2.15m, I think it will need to be a SELV unit, and drill a hole from the outside to install ducting, but outside to get the ladders up to where you need to be it is a corrugated plastic carport.

It is going to be a right pain I think. Any other solutions anyone on here has?

How are the lights wired in the bathroom? If there is a feed at the light or pull switch for the light then there's a good chance you'll be able to fish a cable to an additional pull switch then to the fan. If you have a word with the builder and get him to fit a tile vent through the roof you can cut a nice big 4" hole to assist with fishing cables which you'll then put the fan in once all cables are routed. Be warned, ceiling mounted fans tend to wear quickly on the bearings and get noisy but it sounds like this one won't be working too hard judging by your original post.

Thanks for the help there Dunc, there is a pull cord about 0.5m away from where the extractor fan will be, but the light is on the facing stud wall and don't know whether I will be able to get a neutral from it to the extractor. The piece of ceiling where it needs to be fitted is a lowered stud ceiling, and I am going to have a look today and take the pull cord apart to see where the wiring is, can just see it being a bit of a nightmare! Customer is a proper pain in the rear too, I said get the original sparks back to do it but he ain't interested apparently!

What do you think about taking a feed from the shower on/off switch? I will check the cable size etc to make sure that it won't be over the rated capacity of the cable, and make sure it won't trip if the extractor fan is wired onto it?

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a new shower and I don't really like that idea, so going for spur off the ring. The woman is a complete nightmare, just been round today and now she wants it wall mounted, so going to be a long day tomorrow I think.....Thanks for help Malcolm!

Reply to Install of extractor fan for bathroom in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net