Discuss Insurance Work in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mstoker1990

HI guys

Im on with a job at the minute thats been 3 flooded properties. All no more than 10 years old. Installation fairly good, split load boards.

All stud walls have had the bottom half of them removed so i've had to disconnect pretty much all the sockets and anything else affected.

Im in the process of putting it all back together again now but the insruance company specification states on completion an electrical test should be done and certified.

Ive not altered any fixed wiring at all. The only thing im doing additional to before is fusing the meter tails because they are well over 3m and in 16mm for some reason.

What certificate would you issue for this work.??

The reason they are requesting a certificate is for legal requirements to satisfy the electricity at work act and BS7671, insurance purposes and as always covering their backs!! You will have to do a certificate if you are altering anything anyway. In this case I would do an installation certificate(Due to the protection you are going to install) and write a detailed explanation of all works done including the disconnection and reconnection of all accessories you worked on. If there were no alterations and you are qualified and insured to do so then you could issue an Electrical Installation Condition Report. If you go this route then make a detailed explanation of why the test was requested in the applicable box. With most insurance works they always request certification and in this case I fully agree with them as you have several issues:
1. The property was flooded and this may have caused degradation or damage to the existing installation, testing and comparing your results to the previous test will indicate any issues that may be present.
2. You have worked on several accessories and any circuit you work on should be tested as required under the requirements of BS7671 to prove safety of circuit before energisation so you should complete as a bare minimum the dead tests of polarity, insulation, R1+R2 and ring tests if applicable. Even the best sparkie can snag the line conductor on a pattress screw and its embarrassing when you turn on the circuit and it goes bang!!!
3. The other trades may damage the installation during remedial and second fix works. Most decent tradespeople will tell you if they notice they have damaged a cable or accessory. Some won't bother.
4. The dreaded DIY work, need I say more.
5. You are the last person to work on the properties electrical installation so therefore in most circumstances you will be legally responsible for its condition and safety to continue in service following your works.

In all cases I feel it is better to complete and issue a certificate for any works with as much information included within it as possible. if there is any chance it may come back to bite you in the future you will have a copy of this to use in any dispute or investigation.

Hope this helps

HI guys

Im on with a job at the minute thats been 3 flooded properties. All no more than 10 years old. Installation fairly good, split load boards.

All stud walls have had the bottom half of them removed so i've had to disconnect pretty much all the sockets and anything else affected.

Im in the process of putting it all back together again now but the insruance company specification states on completion an electrical test should be done and certified.

Ive not altered any fixed wiring at all. The only thing im doing additional to before is fusing the meter tails because they are well over 3m and in 16mm for some reason.

What certificate would you issue for this work.??

Happyhippy in a post below, seems to have covered it all, but i will add that you have 16mm tails, because that is what the designer specified at the design stage. 16mm tails are OK if the install is in the same condition as when it was installed, and there are no additions to it. They may need upgrading to 25 if there have been some additions made, such as an extra shower, building extensions etc etc. You are the bloke on the ground, so you are the one who has to make this call, work out the maximum demand, and see where it takes you. Usually with 16mm tails, there will be a 60 or 80a cutout fuse fitted, which again will have been done to the designers spec, as it is he or she who has provided the supplier with the supply spec usually as a KVa rating.

Cheers...............Howard

Reply to Insurance Work in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net