Discuss Interested in becoming an electrician... in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

karajjamjar

Hi all, ever since I finished my GCSE's two years ago, I have always been interested in training as an electrician through apprenticeships. I am currently finishing my A levels at the moment, which are dragging on, but would love to start training after I have finished school.

I am applying for apprenticeships through JTL, done my colour vision certificate, and got a little entrance exam this coming Thursday. After this, I should be on their approved apprentices list, and hopefully get accepted... I will then need to find an employer to take me on.

I am fully confident in myself, that this is what I want to do. It interests me thoroughly, and I find my self to be a very practical hands on person. But there are plenty of people who keep putting me off doing this. I want to know what you guys here think, I have had a very interesting few days reading some posts on this forum.

My only other options other than this is to go to university and study IT. The course that I will be doing will land me in a dead end job :/

Electrician, if properly studied is a fine trade,there is no better

You have the enthusiasm.so don't get put off too easily,there are still roses in the garden, but they can be hidden amongst the weeds in this industry ,but as a trade its still a good career to pursue

There are also opportunities that are available to select people to progress to very highly respected and technical levels

Go for it, people who says you shouldn't do something are usually the ones who couldn't do it themselves.

Get a trade behind you and if you don't like it move off to your IT stuff, it will always be there to fall back on in future.

Good luck with it all, I did my apprenticeship with JTL and they are fantastic, don't rely on them to find you a job, get your CV out there ASAP. I remember sending out about 20 and received a reply from just one company who then took me on...

I remember jtl there were no help to me at all done all the tests passed them all, then got a letter to say use there name getting a job, lets just say went to a couple of companys and they said nearer heard of them lol

JTL are a government scheme, if an electrical company claims to not know who they are then I would question the competence of that company.

JTL is definitely a good route to go down. It is not their responsibility to find you work in the first place, they simply support you throughout your college years. If you are made redundant from a company they will help you seek work etc, if you have issues at work, they will help you and speak to your employer on your behalf.

If you chose not to use them within your apprenticeship then so be it, that was your decision, however you cannot give the scheme a bad name just because you didn't understand what their purpose was. Had you understood their purpose and made the most of them, I'm sure your attitude would be different.

As a 16 year old first going in to work in the big wide world, its a good feeling to know there is help close by. I am very fortunate in the fact that I have parents that pushed me to do my best, they would help me out in any situation and they are the reason I am who I am and have got to where I am now. Others are much less fortunate.

People who think JTL are there to do everything for apprentices have not understood the whole situation and should invest in 10 minutes worth of research before passing judgment.

To the OP, go with JTL.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember jtl there were no help to me at all done all the tests passed them all, then got a letter to say use there name getting a job, lets just say went to a couple of companys and they said nearer heard of them lol

same for me. till the training guy found out id been doing work for his mate, then he couldnt wait to help.

goodluck on getting an apprentaship, funding halfs at 18 then shrinks again as you get older. this is ontop of the fact your supposed to be paid more on aprentaship because as being an adult means places are reluctant to take you on.

i went to do A levels then left after first year and went to do 2330.

when ringing up places ask if they know anyone that is taking on or you could do some work experience with. quite often they will recomend people to try.

(some companies don't advertise or have sign written vans, the company im with is a good example)

Well whether or not JTL is any help, I think I will still go for them... at least they are sorting out the college side of things for me, all I need to worry about is finding an employer.

Reply to Interested in becoming an electrician... in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net