Discuss interesting elecrical job careers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

ritchiehulse

I have decided to start looking for a new job in the electrical sector, been looking about and there seems to be some interesting jobs such as working on railways or working on the new 4g systems and hv on pilons, but it always seems they want previous experience. For example the railways want a pts card but how do you go about getting one then how to get experience before someone will hire you?
I am a fully qualified electrician with 2391

Our game has so many different disciplines, working within so many different environments. I've struggled myself as i served an apprenticeship as a 'installation' electrician within mostly the commercial sector.

The bulk of jobs advertised these days are for maintenance technician roles.......with prev experience! No good for me.....still i apply for anything these days, may as well!

Good luck......you'll need it!

So its not just me then. I just don't understand how anyone ever gets into these different fields as its not like you would do your apprenticeship soley in these fields or is it just the case of knowing someone who will give you a chance???

The old saying........not what you know.......

When i did my apprenticeship at college, the class of around 20, half of them had a family member who'd either been a spark or were still sparkying.

You gotta be in the click these days.

I too have 2391, in gaining that i thought, slap that on my CV and watch them come knocking!

Times are very hard right now, the sooner labour get back in government the better if you ask me!

*Awaits the political onslaught*

I'm currently a Maintenance Apprentice, personally it goes both ways, in regards to experience compared to contracting/installation. A lot of bosses including mine will 9/10 ask me to wire a new installation instead of hiring someone else to do it, and after spending a few months with an on-site contractor I've learned absolutely loads of things which I never knew simply just because I've been taught in a Maintenance Discipline and mainly perform Opportunity Maintenance/Repairs on Machine control panels working more with relays, contactors etc. For my specific qualification (BTEC National Diploma L3) I didn't even have to do the regs! I went out of my own way to do them.

In short...being taught solely from a Maintenance Perspective is bad in my opinion, you don't gain enough knowledge about 'basic' Electrical Practices, I've went well out of my way to learn a lot of the things that I have rather than being taught on my Apprenticeship. I personally wish my apprenticeship had been Installation...or at least Installation for the first year, however I've been fortunate in that I've had a experience in both Maintenance and with an Electrical Contractor.

All in all...bosses need to realise the benefits of both Installation Engineers and Maintenance Engineers and should perhaps consider combining the two in a Maintenance Department, or at least ensure their Maintenance Technicians gain relevant installation experience. From what I've seen a competent experienced Contractor/Installation Electrician can easily learn the ropes of Maintenance.

No idea why I felt the need to type all that but yes...maybe one of you guys should try putting this point I made across to your Interviewers somehow when convincing them you're right for the job although you are not experienced in that specific discipline... Somehow. :sweatdrop:

Train as an electrical technician officer in the merchant navy. 3 years training and you're in. Career prospects are outstanding aswell as pay. I am a spark and because of lack of work within the industry looked into other things. I am now nearing the end of becoming a marine engineer with the merchant navy. Been all over the world and am joining a ship next week in America!

Reply to interesting elecrical job careers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net