Discuss Internet TV... in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Deleted member 9648

Guys,
I dont get involved in data cableing so just want this ok-ing please.

Our TV died this week and amazingly her indoors agreed to a new sony all singing and dancing jobbie:)....it has an internet connection and sony supply a dedicated wifi dongle..(60 quid). However reading the Amazon reviews it seems this often doesnt work unless the router is in the same room...it wont be....so I thought I'd hard wire it.
I thought I'd run a cat 5 cable from the router to the TV and put a RJ45 outlet at each end,and then use short linking leads to connect the router and TV....is that correct??
Cheers for any help....:cool:

In theory the answer is yes, spookily I've been looking at a Sony with a need for the Wifi dongle or use of a cable.

Why mess around with cat5? - wouldn't it be easier to just go and buy a long cable with RJ45's on both ends!

Before you get too excited, are you intending to use the internet to view most programmes? If so, beware because at peak times you'll be struggling to get a good "flow" through a programme.

cat5e from router to ethernet socket on wall behind TV. RJ45 at router end. 100m cat5e from cpc is around £20-£30

Yep, that'll do the job. Wireless is not a good way to go for TV viewing (too high bandwidth and too much interference). Wireless internet gets interference from cordless phones, wireless doorbells and a whole host of other stuff at 2.4G Hz).

for the distances involved in a house(which are small) Cat5 would be ideal, buy the STP type (screened twisted pair) which you can get from Maplins, you can get wall plates with a load of different connectors on one fitting, so you can have : an RJ45 network patch connection point, an HDMI connection point, a satellite connection, a UHF/FM Ariel connection all on one brushed steel or plastic wall plate, looks tidy....
you can either use a small household network switch or just plug the TV into the Router port and use the wi-fi part of the router for the desktop and laptop,that way the PC does not need to be left on for the TV to work, I imagine that the TV will be covered by the Routers inbuilt hardware firewall and it will have its own inbuilt O/S as well so it should be covered from any of the new nuisences that come out with the advent of internet based television..
another plus point is that you can also connect your PS3 or XBOX360/WII to the internet using the same network cable, allowing many hours of multiplayer fun to be had... :)

Reply to Internet TV... in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net