Discuss IP55 or IP65 (or better) rated TPN board in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

pc1966

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
We might need to have a small 3-phase DB in an industrial location that might be exposed to the elements occasionally, though normally it will be covered if rain, etc, is happening. Total current is no more than 32A but I am struggling to find any sort of conventional TPN board that is rated for this sort of thing. Currently I am pondering on making my own using these:
And matching Acti 9 MCB/RCBO but I wondered if anyone on here has a better suggestion?

Funnily enough it's nearly identical to the one you posted, but does call itself a 3 phase board even though it's still a kit of parts!
I saw that and its description but I didn't see any matching busbar for it and felt I ought to try and use matching parts if possible, if for no other reason that next inspection it does not get flagged up.

Hager do a range that is a skeleton board in an Ip65 enclosure, I use them a lot for farm work
Here is an example.

They are available in GRP and metal!
Sy

Hager do a range that is a skeleton board in an Ip65 enclosure, I use them a lot for farm work
Thanks, that appears a better choice for me as other TPN stuff is all Hager. For some reason I never clocked it while looking through the catalogue, but on checking it is there right in front of me!

Oddly though it says "(Not suitable for outdoor use)" but I'm not sure why given IP65, maybe the obvious aspect if door is opened then rating plummets?

Thanks, that appears a better choice for me as other TPN stuff is all Hager. For some reason I never clocked it while looking through the catalogue, but on checking it is there right in front of me!

Oddly though it says "(Not suitable for outdoor use)" but I'm not sure why given IP65, maybe the obvious aspect if door is opened then rating plummets?
Mmm that is odd they say that as they definitely are very good at keeping moisture and dust out! (Have silicone will travel!)
Not installed one outside but I have in dairy rooms where they get blasted with water on the wash down!
They do a plastic single phase version as well that I use a lot and that's excellent too, I wonder if that says the same. Again not that I have installed one outside but in a lot of small Barns and stores!

Mmm that is odd they say that as they definitely are very good at keeping moisture and dust out! (Have silicone will travel!)
Not installed one outside but I have in dairy rooms where they get blasted with water on the wash down!
Well this location sure will be dryer than that!

Under all normal circumstances this will be dry, but during construction or if something goes badly wrong it might be exposed to rain. I suspect some sealant as you suggest will be enough to make sure things like fixing screws, etc, are all water tight. If necessary I will put a couple of small drain holes in to the base.

Spiders will still get in, but only really small ones!

For the fixing holes I use rubber backed washers from roof cladding screws with a dab of silicone on the back just to be sure!
I have installed quite a few of the metal ones over the years and do go back to several every 3 years or so for inspections, a couple of the older ones about 10 years or so are just starting to rust where they have had the coating caught and damaged!
Typical Hager design and build, bulletproof!

I've used 'their' IP GRP enclosures before with absolutely zero complaints.

Thanks. Do you know the part number? A quick search found this but it is due to be discontinued:

That's the one I was thinking of, hadn't realised it was being discontinued.

Normally I'd just go with a standard DB in a high IP rated cabinet anyway.

That is looking more likely.

I got a quote from Blakely and the 4 way TPN is £716 so on the pricey side, though looks pretty robust and Schneider innards are a good start.

Yes, Blakely build a lot of that type of unit for outdoor temporary use and also build a lot of stuff for London underground so do have a good name in this field.

Cannot you just put a standard board into a GRP inclosure? I’ve done that a few times.

You can also buy just the backplates, done that too for power distribution in a very large control panel, looked a very neat job.

IMG_7054.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7056.jpeg
    340.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7055.jpeg
    540.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Reply to IP55 or IP65 (or better) rated TPN board in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net