Discuss IR test in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Some advice please .
when doing IR test , generally i test the lighting circuit with the load shorted (L-N) and test across earth and live or neutral as removing all lamps and disconnecting fluorscents is time consuming .
now and again i will test the whole CU in this way .

Firstly , why is it that on some occasions a perfect reading (on a megger <999) is obtained , while sometimes anything between 10-800 Mohms is found .

secondly , when recording these results on the report is it correct to include the L-N column or not ?

lastly , how is it possible that when doing IR test normally (load not shorted ) a lower reading is sometimes found on N-E even though this is dead test and main switch is isolated

cheers

firstly. damp, dirt, dead spiders, etc.
secondly, if you don't measure L-N, then on the test sheet you should enter N/V.
for the last bit... parallel paths? bonding?

he's not. he means > 999 Ω , which is the megger's upper reading limit.

my mistake. was thinking of my megger BM401. that reads >999 on 500V test. the 1553 , as you say, is >299 on 500V.

Last edited:
Hello Jon,

I think the first question has been answered.. here is a link that gives a thorough explanation View attachment insulation resistance explained.pdf

As for the second question I was concerned about not filling in the L-N IR column but from other threads it seems this does not always get filled in (and like Mr DS said enter a N/V). However if I found any unsatisfactory L/N - E IR results on a circuit I would then do a L-N also just to do a thorough check.

I think the third question means why can N-E be lower than L/N-E with regards IR testing. I suppose if the Insulation on the L was pretty poor then the results would be better with a N-E test. But if you haven't unplugged everything or left the lights in then I would have thought they would be the same!

Last edited:

Reply to IR test in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net