Discuss Is this a new circuit? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi. A few years ago we had a full house rewiring done by an electrician who issued a certificate for the work. He also left in the consumer unit an MCB to be used in the futue for an immersion heater and a cable in the wall, unconnected to the MCB, which should be used by the immersion heater. He also tested the MCB and added the details in the certificate. If I connect an immersion heater (together with all the other relevant components) to this cable and then the cable to the MCB, is this a "new circuit", so notifiable work? Thank you

Yes it is a new circuit and is notifiable work.
And an installation certificate, with the test results for the cable which is now a live circuit.

If he had left the wire connected to the MCB it would not be a new circuit.
If left unconnected, it would now be a new circuit.
If just a short length of cable had been connected to the MCB and terminated into a junction box just outside of the CU, it would not be a new circuit.
This is what you get with such a badly thought out piece of legislation.

How does one test a circuit that is not connected?
Perhaps it was disconnected after it was tested if the heater end wasn't safe to energise?
What details have been entered on the test certificate? The Op doesn't say and agreed, it could just be details of the mcb or the full circuit test results. If the former, then a new circuit, if the later, not a new circuit!

If you have a circuit breaker in place and a "spare cable" that was put in for the purpose of installing a water heater at a future point.
with the following caveats, you should be good to go.

A. the heater is the same make and model that the circuit was originally designed for (some manufacturers specify bigger cables or breakers than would be assumed)

B. you are able to confirm that nothing has disturbed or damaged the cable (no damage from vermin or Diy)

however, it would be far better to get a qualified electrician in so that in the event of a fire or other dangerous event you are not arguing with a court or insurance company saying "the guys on an internet forum told me it would be ok"

It's not a new circuit. By reconnecting the cable - as designed - you are not creating something new.

You don't disconnect a circuit for testing or fault finding and then claim it's new again when you reconnect back into the breaker, do you?!

And what goes on the end of the cable, as we all know, is largely irrelevant as that can be swapped out willy-nilly and makes no difference to the inspected properties of the circuit.

It's not a new circuit. By reconnecting the cable - as designed - you are not creating something new.

You don't disconnect a circuit for testing or fault finding and then claim it's new again when you reconnect back into the breaker, do you?!

And what goes on the end of the cable, as we all know, is largely irrelevant as that can be swapped out willy-nilly and makes no difference to the inspected properties of the circuit.
According to the first post, the cable was not ever connected to the MCB in the first place, but was installed for future use.
Therefore, no live testing was ever done. Therefore, connecting the cable would require live testing to be done and the results recorded on an installation certificate.

Edit. Unless we can see a copy of the original installation certificate, or at least what details are recorded for this MCB.

From what I read the cable has never been connected. He quotes he tested the MCB whatever that entails (RCBO?) and added the details to the Certificate. The installation of circuits doesn't necessarily mean immediate connection, large contracts can drag on for some time and the circuits would be deemed new.
To me from what I read it is a new circuit.
Snap typing at the same time.

Reply to Is this a new circuit? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net