Discuss Is this likely to be a problem? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

moggy1968

Well folks, I have my annual assessment booked for march, and next week I intend to cancel it. I also haven't renewed my REALmembership (I was waiting to see what happened with the DECC announcement)

I have an install booked for a weeks time. Is it likely to be a problem that I don't have REAL membership?

I appreciate it's against the rules, but the install itself will be done to our usual high standards, which we are able to maintain without the interference of REAL so the install will conform with all aspects of the regs, except REAL membership.

In theory no REAL - no MCS. I got that from the guy who heads the Elecsa assessor team!

Not sure how your MCS registration gets recinded though in the evnt of no REAL membership.

Giving up then?

The only problem I can think of is that REAL may force you to renew so that they can then boot you off the scheme. :6:

Sorry to hear you're not sticking with it. Don't blame you though....

Our elecsa mcs tickets ran out on the 6th December and we have not renewed with real either as i believe it is unethical to sell in the current climate ( but do not in any way blame others that have to at the moment , it is not the installers fault that we are led by forked tongued low bellied snakes !) , we will be going mcs again sometime latter in the year but the solar will only be a required sideline to complement another technology .
But elecsa and the last time i looked real , still have us on their books as active installers ?

Last edited:
I would never condone doing anything unethical but yesterday I received a reminder that my renewal was overdue and needed to paid within 7 days. It was due for renewal about mid Jan. I have been able to function normally on the REAL website. I will be renewing though.

MCS members do not have to be members of REAL - but they do have to be members of an OFT CCAS-approved Consumer Code of Practice scheme.

The only one that is available to cover renewables is REAL. OFT have closed their CCAS scheme to any new entrants pending the outcome of a government review (which was announced back in October 2010).

Catch-22.

This is from the MCS website:

Lastly, to become an MCS Installation Company, you need to be a member of an Office of Fair Trading (OFT) approved consumer code. At present the REAL Assurance Scheme is the only approved code. In light of the uncertainty around the consumer landscape, MCS is currently looking into the options around this.

And OFT:

Following the Government's announcement to consult on the proposed consumer protection reforms and the subsequent uncertainty of the impact on the OFT's ability to operate the CCAS in the long term, we have temporarily suspended the scheme to new applicants. We will update this position once we have greater clarity over Government's plans.

REALs accreditation under CCAS is announced here: OFT approves consumer code of practice for the renewable energy sector* - The Office of Fair Trading
They only attained full accreditation in November 2011.

I'm not sure if NICEIC, ELECSA or NAPIT impose any additional conditions as MCS certification bodies. Haven't looked at those in detail for a couple of years now.

Last edited by a moderator:
so, if I read this correctly, I shouldn't have any problems getting the system certified and the risk is all mine rather than the customers?
I'm hoping to get in with a local firm building wooden lodges to do off grid for the moment. May come back into Grid tie later if conditions make it worthwhile or if we can tie up a partnership with someone else to split the costs and aggro.

Sorry to hear that Moggy, but I understand. I might well be joing you. As for REAL I wouldnt worry. Can't see how any of them communicate with each other. After all it's the MCS assessor who's interested in seeing a REAL certificate and unless you are due for that before the install then how are they to know?

Good luck with the new venture I hope it all goes well for you. I might tap you up or a holiday lodge later in the year!

Reply to Is this likely to be a problem? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net