Discuss July 2012 2391 in the Electrical Courses and Electrical NVQ's area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

westy2412

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Got my practical exam on 11th and theory on the 12th, canny nervous about it now with it only being a few days away

Aico 3000 Range
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Richard Burns

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
If you have done your revision of GN3 then you should be OK.
You must know the correct terminology by now and be able to remember what forms you need when and also the information and safety requirements to which you need to adhere.

Do keep reading the GN3 but do not overdo it, there are always small sections that you thought would not turn up that do and catch you out.

Practice the past papers under exam conditions to test yourself, even if it is one for which you have researched the answers previously.

Remember do the questions you can complete easily first and then return to the other ones, do not get bogged down on a question, just move on.

Read the scenario and relate your answers to the scenario.

Practice answering as briefly, but completely as possible, look at the number of marks available and answer with the appropriate level of detail.

You will be OK, good luck.

H

HDA82

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I will do it as you and the rest of the nation on Thursday 6.00 pm!!!!!
I don't feel very confident,the bloody terminology is a pain,especially because nobody at work talk like that!
I know that the previous exam has been easy respect the past ones,plus i can't find more exam example that aren't from 2009!
Anybody can help to find exam paper on the net apart from the ones in djelectraining.co.uk?
Please.
Break a leg to everyone involved in the 12th!

J

Jezzas82

I have just sat the 2391 theory exam on july 12th 2012. Think ive done pretty well after constant revision and answering 90% off the questions with a good confident answer. How did everyone else feel about thjis exam?

T

tutorsteve

I have just sat the 2391 theory exam on july 12th 2012. Think ive done pretty well after constant revision and answering 90% off the questions with a good confident answer. How did everyone else feel about thjis exam?
To be honest (and not sounding smug) but i thought that was one of the easiest 2391 papers i have seen in a long time. The scenario questions were probably easier than the first 20. If they are giving 12 marks for the safe isolation procedure then it cant be too bad can it? What did others think?

J

Jackyc

Hi all I found the exam quite easy BUT with re checking exam after I found myself changing answers which can.be a fatal error for me. Good luck to allho took it does anyone no when we will know results.

J

Jezzas82

Usualy around 43/46 day roughly as C&G love making you wait.

J

Jackyc

I did hear that and this must be a high pass mark then if everyone thought it was easier. If its a fail I will just re take, hopefully not tho. There was one question what 2 conditions must there be to issue a minor works cert.??? Any ideas I put must be adition or alteration to a existing circuit.

B

Bales

I have to agree it was a walk in the park for me too. :smug:

However looking back I did do some school boy mistakes such as stating "Verification" instead of "Initial Verification" for the type of inspection and test required. I also found myself tight on time in the end as it is very easy to lose track and spend to much time on some questions.

On the safe isolation question I initially didn't get what they were asking for so I skipped it, but when I came back to it later the penny dropped and I couldn't understand why I didn't get it the first time, I can only suppose having got to the end the pressure was off and I could think straight again.

B

Bales

I did hear that and this must be a high pass mark then if everyone thought it was easier. If its a fail I will just re take, hopefully not tho. There was one question what 2 conditions must there be to issue a minor works cert.??? Any ideas I put must be adition or alteration to a existing circuit.
I beleave that is the correct answer and it was what we all came up with when we discussed after.

J

Jackyc

Hopefully. A few in my group got confused and did the full ze test when it actually wanted safe isolation. All calculations was ok r1r2 test was ok. Can you think of any more. Did you mess up on any?

I beleave that is the correct answer and it was what we all came up with when we discussed after.
Alteration or MINOR addition, not including a new circuit or protective device, i think that is the most important point, as a addition in a more involved form would be covered by a EIC.

B

Bales

Hopefully. A few in my group got confused and did the full ze test when it actually wanted safe isolation. All calculations was ok r1r2 test was ok. Can you think of any more. Did you mess up on any?
Yes one in my group did the same. One of them was the Earth electrode equation which should have been Ra less than or equal to 50/I delta n which I did 50/Ia i think? But I did get the right answer though which was 100 ohms.

J

Jackyc

NOoooo i did 230/0.5 instead of 50v. Is anyone doing 2356 after or has anybody already got I on here?

J

Jackyc

2396**

J

Jezzas82

Did correct earth fault path, not sure when I did continuity of a ring main if it needed to be isolated 1st as I just described the test and can't remember the wording of the question. Rcd test nailed with all disconnection times. Safe isolation stated in steps. Where volt drop is require I failed as I put initial verification. Earth electrode of fete raptor I wasn't sure on. Most of section a was pretty easy. Really hoping to pass as this isn't the 1st time I've sat it and I think I've learned from my mistakes.

P

pinball25

oh dear dont even rember this quistion Ra where was it in the test ?

N

Nath88

Hi all,
I also did the 2391 last night and found it easy :/ Not so sure thats a good thing tho??
I found all the past papers etc hard as hell! But the Exam stupidly easy and found myself with oodles of time left at the end!

Im thinking of taking the 2396 soon too whilst the calculations etc are fresh in my mind. Just struggling to find somwhere in the North east to take it?? Any help

Wish you all good luck for your results :)

N

Nath88

Was the Ra one the one adding up the total insulation resistances of 120ohms, 80ohms and 60ohms???

P

pinball25

oh yer rember now think i did ok with that

N

Nath88

Hopefully we did. Only thing thats concerning me is if everyone found it easy equalling in a higher pass mark? Just my bloody luck that!

J

Jackyc

I no that's what worries me but looking at recent past papers from march 2012 that was easier and it seems they are getting easier each time. I have currently got 2330 level 2+3 2377 2399 2392 I'm doing 2382 23rd and hopefully have 2391 after the dreaded wait. Would anyone recommend me doing nvq 3 some say yes some say no I mainley want to do domestic so would I need it? Cheers for any help and good luck to all of us.

S

SirKit Breaker

I feel your are all dumbing this down. The reason it was easy, is because you have done the right amount of revision. City and Guilds dont do easy.
Well done one and all.

Minor works.................An additional socket onto an existing circuit, or direct replacement of an accessory, are examples, but not any work that goes back to a distribution board, or any alteration of the protective devices including bonding conductors.

Cheers...........Howard

J

Jezzas82

The total resistance of the complete installation was Rt. being 1 over each value then added together then 1 over that value. I got something like 27.45ohms I think that was expected.

J

Jezzas82

I failed twice already and have found them all 'easy' one of the pass rates for 1 exam I done was 31%. There is no way that I can fail this time as I knew every answer apart from 1 or 2 in secton a. I know all my section b answers covered everything expected with no vital procedures missing apart from the continuity of ring circuit I cant remember if I was supposed to isolate I just know I didn't. That will result in all marks being lost for that question. Just because every1 found it easy don't mean every1 put the right answers. Ive revised really hard to make sure I know the answers which is why I not only knew the answer for every question I was 100% it was the answer. Good luck all who sat it and results will be last week in August.

J

Jackyc

That is very true mate. I put it had to be isolated and all involved in doing so as all it said was a time was arranged to isolate so I put ask permision and isolate obv in more detail. That's how I read it anyway did extent and lims have to be mentioned? I didn't put it because was just one test so didn't think it was needed but some in my group did. What did u think?

J

Jurasic Spark

Anyone manage to get a copy of the paper?

If not can anyone remembe rthe questions?

B

Blackout

I done the June paper and messed up badly. so i decided to do the july one and felt alot more confident before i went in there. Was much easier this time for me just hope i pass. the june wasnt hard i put it down to my nerves i think for the reason i messed up. oh well just have to wait.

T

tutorsteve

Did correct earth fault path, not sure when I did continuity of a ring main if it needed to be isolated 1st as I just described the test and can't remember the wording of the question. Rcd test nailed with all disconnection times. Safe isolation stated in steps. Where volt drop is require I failed as I put initial verification. Earth electrode of fete raptor I wasn't sure on. Most of section a was pretty easy. Really hoping to pass as this isn't the 1st time I've sat it and I think I've learned from my mistakes.
Jezza, you got the volt drop question right! The question asked what type of inspection and test to verify volt drop, which is initial verification, the two methods in BS7671 are calculation or measurement. Best of luck fella, hope you've passed.

J

Jackyc

I put periodic inspection and test as in gn3 it says you would not normally do volt drop for initial verification. I hope I.havnt messed that up now.

Reply to July 2012 2391 in the Electrical Courses and Electrical NVQ's area at ElectriciansForums.net

Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Top Bottom