Discuss just a lighting fault??? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
called out this morning. customer said " i've changed a light and it blows the fuse". thought straight away, switched live in with neutrals. 10 minute job. so, gets there and then he says " iv'e changed 3 lights. one blows the fuse, and one is permanently on". hmmm. ok, so , fuse board, under stairs full of junk. 1 lighting fuse for whole house, removed.(wylex metalclad rewireable.). bedroom2: undo rose, check wiring, OK.. bedroom 1: switch wire in neutral- rewire terminal block.. lounge: light connected across permanent L/N, rewire terminal block.. dining room: metal fiiting. no cpc. remove fitting, enlarge hole to pull out 20A junction box, bare cpc's twisted on outside of box. strip out box, strip casbles back rewire into new choc block with cpc ( choc block is in the fitting ). test from CU for correct continuity, IR, rewire blown fuse. everything now working, but.... evidence of DIY bodging, 1.5mm cable in 30 ring final fuse, appears to feed alarm system and maybe a light in pantry, can't say for sure as massive fridge freezer in way. only thing i can do at the present is advise that the installation needs attention, also main earth is only 10mm on PME.and 10mm L/N tails. so i have quoted for a new CU ( dual RCD ) upgrade of earthing/bonding and test/inspect/ rectify problems. written quote ( mentioning my concerns going out tonight.

well. thought i'd give you all something to read on a miserable day, LOL.

I hope the DIYer was suitably embarassed at his efforts!

At least something good came of it, assuming he accepts your quotation and advice!

Yep for some reason they seam to connect the 6 amp rated cable into the 30 amp fuse but mind thats not the worst as i have reported on this forum before some clowns years ago would connect the alarm supply straight into the live side of the main isolator of the fuse board because they thought no will tamper with this now not realising that the the 6 amp cable is being protected by a 60 or 100 amp cut out fuse plus when the main switch is put to off there is still a live cable in the house.
Best you can do is advise me when I see the above I just change it wether i get paid or not cos I sleep better at night

Reply to just a lighting fault??? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net