Discuss Lamps blowing!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

What else is fed from the same circuit as the lighting? Double check connections and things like a wire or busbar on the wrong side of the clamp termination at the MCB/RCD etc. As already stated check the actual lamp holder where the lamp makes contact for any signs of arcing etc. If the DB is 3-phase try swapping the light circuit to a different phase.

I wouldn't overthink this from a technical point of view, 99% of lamp premature failures are because of something fairly obvious like poor power quality (overvoltage surges and spikes), environmental factors like moisture or vibration and poor terminations or connections etc.

This was our distro the other night just before shutdown
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428794253.220900.jpg

As someone said are the fittings wall mounted or are they posts along the drive. I find eco halogens do not like any kind of vibration. Also you said it was 9 months at least since they were fitted. If the lamps get a lot of switching then they may be coming to the end of their lifespans.

I had a client that had fancy ceiling lights in three rooms. Each fitting had 12 G4s in them. So 36 in total. If each lamp is rated to last a 1000 hrs then when they start to fail it can seem like an endless cycle of changing lamps as knacked ones need replacing. That's partly why some offices etc have all lamps replaced on a relamp regardless of whether they still work.

If all seems OK with the install I would be tempted to put a couple of LEDs in and see if they last better. If they do you can point this out to the client. The UK voltage and European market prob don't help matters either!

I always do Murdoch, this time I got taken in by a cheaper box from screwfix (still not the cheapest though!) with reasonable reviews (I had used it once or twice before and it seemed fine, however with 11 of them it became evident it was poor quality). I have since reviewed the box and also mentioned about it on this forum in a thread I started as I was so disappointed with it.

Still silly though!

Link to the boxes please HHD so we know to avoid them!

HHD, admit you don't know what you're doing.

One of the things I had to study at engineering college was “test methods and reliability.” We used lamps as a case study, all the major suppliers provided samples for endurance and switching tests. The manufacturers can almost guarantee when the lamp will blow when in constant use, IE endurance test. Switched on a regular basis, the time reduced by more than 50%.

Look at the switching.

Sylvania came out as one of the most reliable in endurance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone else and Tony have mentioned switching, two worst things you can do to an electrical piece of equipment, switch it on, switch it off.

If they're on off on off all day and night they won't last long....

As someone said are the fittings wall mounted or are they posts along the drive. I find eco halogens do not like any kind of vibration. Also you said it was 9 months at least since they were fitted. If the lamps get a lot of switching then they may be coming to the end of their lifespans.

I had a client that had fancy ceiling lights in three rooms. Each fitting had 12 G4s in them. So 36 in total. If each lamp is rated to last a 1000 hrs then when they start to fail it can seem like an endless cycle of changing lamps as knacked ones need replacing. That's partly why some offices etc have all lamps replaced on a relamp regardless of whether they still work.

If all seems OK with the install I would be tempted to put a couple of LEDs in and see if they last better. If they do you can point this out to the client. The UK voltage and European market prob don't help matters either!

I think that is a very good suggestion.. thanks!

That sums it up!
You don’t know what you’re doing.

One of the things I had to study at engineering college was “test methods and reliability.” We used lamps as a case study, all the major suppliers provided samples for endurance and switching tests. The manufacturers can almost guarantee when the lamp will blow when in constant use, IE endurance test. Switched on a regular basis, the time reduced by more than 50%.

Look at the switching.

Sylvania came out as one of the most reliable in endurance.

My favorite choice, even the GU10 last for ages.

Someone else and Tony have mentioned switching, two worst things you can do to an electrical piece of equipment, switch it on, switch it off.

If they're on off on off all day and night they won't last long....

Yeah...who came up with them bleedin' pir thingies...vital for the lamp producers as much as the users :icon12:

used some of these from dcrewfix. no problems and nice hefty terminals. ideal for 10mm. or 16mm.
http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/adaptable-box-ip65-110-x-110-x-67mm/17962

Last edited:
used some of these from dcrewfix. no problems and nice hefty terminals. ideal for 10mm. or 16mm.
Adaptable Box IP65 110 x 110 x 67mm | Junction Boxes | NoLinkingToThis

Yes. They are de dogs danglies. Only use them, well, apart from whisks ones, and ... Others but they are great. You get what you pay for.

Reply to Lamps blowing!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net