Discuss Landlords Certificate in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

There is no such thing mate. It was properly called a PIR now it's an EICR, I believe there's now a visual inspection report being promulgated by some but if you can tell me what the point of that is or what it's supposed to prove I owe you a pint

Asked about this earlier this year, when someone posted about doing them. Did ask for them to post a copy on the forum to have a look at but that never happened, surprise!

Thanks Lenny, unfortunately there's no one regulating landlords so all this legislation just gets swept under the carpet, not so bad if you rent through an agency but if its private there's no chance

I do work for a couple of letting agents and private landlords I dont do a lot of testing as they have a couple of contractors. With one the company does a "rolling PIR" no EICR this is testing one circuit a year so the tset sheet shows the circuit tested then 2010 at the remarks then next time they add another with 2011 I have mentioned that this is for large building but they sem to do their own thing.

Plus maybe I have not noticed it but all of the private landlords I do work for are very proactive with their properties because they take the stitch in time approuch

I was asked by a landlord who has 50 flats let out to dss tenants, so guaranteed income, to quote on a couple of piddly little jobs I noticed there was no bonding so I included that in the quote. I went along to see her to explain what was needed and she looked at me with horror when I talked to her about what she thought was totally unnecessary work which did nothing except bump up the cost to her. I'm glad to say I did not get the jobs but sad to think she probably got a guy from a pub to do it wrongly.
There should be legislation.

I was asked by a landlord who has 50 flats let out to dss tenants, so guaranteed income, to quote on a couple of piddly little jobs I noticed there was no bonding so I included that in the quote. I went along to see her to explain what was needed and she looked at me with horror when I talked to her about what she thought was totally unnecessary work which did nothing except bump up the cost to her. I'm glad to say I did not get the jobs but sad to think she probably got a guy from a pub to do it wrongly.

Trev, go to the ESC website and find the PDF Earthing & bonding, print a couple off to keep in the van, it makes a difference when clients can read from a trusted source and it's a very good leaflet.

After speaking to a few people about this woman it turned out that she is only ever prepared to do the absolute bare minimum to get her flats let mate. It matters not one jot that the one doing her electrical work is neither qualified nor competent, and sadly in my experience there are an awful lot like her which is why I'm glad that I didn't get involved. If it had become public knowledge that I was working for her it could have meant I would be tarred with the same brush as all the cowboys she uses.
Interestingly enough though her CP12s are always done on time....hmmmm

After speaking to a few people about this woman it turned out that she is only ever prepared to do the absolute bare minimum to get her flats let mate. It matters not one jot that the one doing her electrical work is neither qualified nor competent, and sadly in my experience there are an awful lot like her which is why I'm glad that I didn't get involved. If it had become public knowledge that I was working for her it could have meant I would be tarred with the same brush as all the cowboys she uses.

Shame, we could do with an Elecsafe register like the gas guys!

There is no such thing mate. It was properly called a PIR now it's an EICR, I believe there's now a visual inspection report being promulgated by some but if you can tell me what the point of that is or what it's supposed to prove I owe you a pint
exactly...Trev is right...as usual....inspection is all about what you can see.....testing confirms what you cant see.....

Trev, go to the ESC website and find the PDF Earthing & bonding, print a couple off to keep in the van, it makes a difference when clients can read from a trusted source and it's a very good leaflet.
there was a similar handout pack...`make the case for RCDs`....still got a load of them.....and if you are on a job where the C/U is an old BS 3036 type....you can leave one in a conspicuous place (such as a side table) before leaving together with your card.....a bit of food for thought for em.....

This is what should be registered with or notified to LABC not all this Part P jobs and scheme crap

You'd like to think that being a DSS landlord, the DSS would have people checking up on the landlords, and their "standards".

This is a false economy the majority of landlords I do work for understand they need to upkeep the property and budget for it then there is in my case a small minority who look at their property as a cash cow so it no wonder if they leave it long enough they throw their hands up and scream when they are told they need a few jobs needing done now you may think ok thats down how they think about it yet they happily turn up in a BMW and boast that the service for the car alone is £750 so priorities indeed.

Reply to Landlords Certificate in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net