Discuss EICR Test Fail, before and after in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Could also be that the cables for the the 2 rings are in wrong The mcbs
As one leg from one ring in with other ring and same on other MCB
Yes I have come across this a lot after someone has done a board swap and they got the rings mixed up.
Very easy to spot as if you turn one Off one 32amp MCB off both Rings still remain On Live.

Yes I have come across this a lot after someone has done a board swap and they got the rings mixed up.
Very easy to spot as if you turn one Off one 32amp MCB off both Rings still remain On Live.
Yup they have not end to end tested or they have and crossed the legs up I always double check and mark the legs for each RFC. So simple for a few minutes work.

The best one I had recently was 2 circuits, 1 ring and 1 16 A radial but one leg of the ring was in the 32A along with the shed radial and the other leg of the ring was in the 16A MCB marked shed supply. Not only that the board was a mismatch of MCB's and the only way they could get some to fit was put them in upside down so when they were switched on they were all pointing different ways, oh and the board was mounted sideways.

That was fun trying to get the power to go off, had to switch the main switch off and then sit down and try and work out what on earth was going on.

A side ways mounted board with numerous makes of breakers with some mounted upside down and some sharing the same circuit.

That is some kind of special

So sorry to resurrect this again, I still haven't got it resolved so I'm going to give up on the current Electrician and find a new one, he was supposed to come fix it but never turned up.

Anyway I bought one of those socket testers off Amazon just to see if there were any obvious faults and discovered something I think is odd.

On the image below I have labelled up the CU -

After 2.jpg

This is how it's labelled on the cover-
Circuit 1 - Cooker
Circuit 2 - Central Heating, NOTE: when turned off the boiler stays on
Circuit 3 - One Double socket in Bedroom 2, NOTE: when turned off boiler goes off too
Circuit 4 - Two Double sockets in living room, Two double sockets in Bedroom 1, and One Double Socket in Bedroom 2
Circuit 5 - Two double sockets in same cupboard as CU, and two Double sockets in Kitchen
Circuit 6 - Lights
Circuit 7 - Extractor Fan
Circuit 8 - Two Double sockets in Hallway

So it seems circuit 3 is a ring that serves just one socket, and the boiler. No clue what wire is in the central heating circuit, turning it off doesn't seem to turn anything off.

I'd like to get this tidied up and safe, plus I still need an EICR, when looking for a new electrician what do I tell them? It's not a full rewire is it?

It doesn't need to look like some piece of art but I'd like it to be of a standard where I'm not embarrassed to post a photo of it. Can I assume circuit 3 just needs to be turned into a radial, the boiler put into circuit 2, and a 32amp MCB added back to circuit 4, and then a tidy up?

Thanks so much for all the info posted, the electrician that did this was giving me the run-around, I was able to have a basic discussion about rings and radials and he backed down and admitted a mistake was made.

Cheers

Last edited:
So sorry to resurrect this again, I still haven't got it resolved so I'm going to give up on the current Electrician and find a new one, he was supposed to come fix it but never turned up.

Anyway I bought one of those socket testers off Amazon just to see if there were any obvious faults and discovered something I think is odd.

On the image below I have labelled up the CU -

View attachment 108529

This is how it's labelled on the cover-
Circuit 1 - Cooker
Circuit 2 - Central Heating, NOTE: when turned off the boiler stays on
Circuit 3 - One Double socket in Bedroom 2, NOTE: when turned off boiler goes off too
Circuit 4 - Two Double sockets in living room, Two double sockets in Bedroom 1, and One Double Socket in Bedroom 2
Circuit 5 - Two double sockets in same cupboard as CU, and two Double sockets in Kitchen
Circuit 6 - Lights
Circuit 7 - Extractor Fan
Circuit 8 - Two Double sockets in Hallway

So it seems circuit 3 is a ring that serves just one socket, and the boiler. No clue what wire is in the central heating circuit, turning it off doesn't seem to turn anything off.

I'd like to get this tidied up and safe, plus I still need an EICR, when looking for a new electrician what do I tell them? It's not a full rewire is it?

It doesn't need to look like some piece of art but I'd like it to be of a standard where I'm not embarrassed to post a photo of it. Can I assume circuit 3 just needs to be turned into a radial, the boiler put into circuit 2, and a 32amp MCB added back to circuit 4, and then a tidy up?

Thanks so much for all the info posted, the electrician that did this was giving me the run-around, I was able to have a basic discussion about rings and radials and he backed down and admitted a mistake was made.

Cheers

Is circuit 3 a ring ? Or is it already a pair of radials ?
Is the feed to the boiler via a fcu ?
What type of boiler is it ?
Do you have an immersion tank heater ?

Is circuit 3 a ring ? Or is it already a pair of radials ?
Is the feed to the boiler via a fcu ?
What type of boiler is it ?
Do you have an immersion tank heater ?
The chap who come to do the EICR said 3 was a ring that had lost continuity, but I don't think he can be relied upon.
Yes Boiler has FCU.
Combi boiler - no tank, it was fitted last year by BG

Sorry not much to add except to say those terminations are so bad they make my eyes bleed. Exposed copper all over the place.

I think you need a new electrician that comes recommended. If you don't know any from family or friends then at least you could look up NICEIC etc for a registered electrician from your area.

Reply to EICR Test Fail, before and after in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net