Discuss Led downlights tripping RCD in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just powered up 6 new led downlights and RCD is tripping. All wiring disconnected and checked, no faults? Tried light on a separate supply and still trips RCD...very strange. Is the led (integrated but 240v) causing a surge and/ or a lag?

Sorted. What an idiot....
Put the neutral on the wrong side of the CU ...Split box with 2 RCDs. Swapped over and no problem..
You live and learn, check and check again
did it myself some years ago when split boards first came out. (5 on RCD, 5 not) , but only 4 N terminals for the RCD side, so being getting late on a Friday, shoved the shower N in the wrong bar. soon as shower switched on, RCD tripped. left it for weekend and the wet-pants had taken the shower back to supplier as faulty, he bunged in the new shower to find it still tripping. fresh on a Monday morn,I soon realised what I'd done.

did it myself some years ago when split boards first came out. (5 on RCD, 5 not) , but only 4 N terminals for the RCD side, so being getting late on a Friday, shoved the shower N in the wrong bar. soon as shower switched on, RCD tripped. left it for weekend and the wet-pants had taken the shower back to supplier as faulty, he bunged in the new shower to find it still tripping. fresh on a Monday morn,I soon realised what I'd done.
Good to see I'm not alone ??

We have all,done that at some time or another.

Phew, confessions of a halfwit time then.

Did the same on my first split board, fortunately wet pants was having a bigger nightmare so I kept schtum while I sussed it, all the time berating him for keeping us in Walesland past midnight.?

I also did that??

I've been there, done that. It was my own house. Must have been a while ago as I hadn't long sat my 16th edition.

Reply to Led downlights tripping RCD in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net