Discuss Light Fitting - Victorian House. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi there, I’ve just moved into an new house and noticed that one of the light fittings in the hall looks different from the others. The flex seems to be running from above the Ceiling . I can send pics might explain better. It’s an old Victorian house Can I replace this?
IMG_4912.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
An original decorative “ceiling rose”…. Nice feature.

Likely the joint for the flex is above the ceiling and just drops through a hole. Possibly not in an enclosure though.

Is there easy access directly above? The floorboards will probably be cut to form an access hatch and screwed down.

Be prepared for a lot of dust.

Replacing the flex would mean trying to screw a modern fitting to that, which isn’t going to look great. It won’t sit flat for a start.
The screws would have to be long enough to go right up through this rose, through the ceiling which will be lath and plaster, and hopefully into solid wood.

what sort of fitting would you like to replace it with? Just a flex with a shade, or something grander, bigger and very much heavier?

Is there an attic above to make access easy?
Thanks for your feedback. Above is my sons room which we’ve just painted/decorated and floored. I wish I had realised the issue before redecorating.
I was planning on replacing it with a light fitting but I guess I will need to go with a lampshade now.

Thanks both for your commentary and quick response. 😊

Do you know if that is an original plaster rose, or a new polystyrene one glued on and painted?

A tap with your knuckles you tell you that.

If it is original then probably it has to have been accessed from above to fit the cable (originally a gas pipe), but if floor above is recently done you won't want to touch it.

However, if it is a new one then it might have been fitted over a typical pendant light fitting in which case it is REALLY DUMB (but not impossible to believe) and the rose would need removed to access the fitting to replace the cable.

If there is no electrical problem then I too would just replace the lampshade and make the nest of it.

An original decorative “ceiling rose”…. Nice feature.

Likely the joint for the flex is above the ceiling and just drops through a hole. Possibly not in an enclosure though.

Is there easy access directly above? The floorboards will probably be cut to form an access hatch and screwed down.

Be prepared for a lot of dust.

Replacing the flex would mean trying to screw a modern fitting to that, which isn’t going to look great. It won’t sit flat for a start.
The screws would have to be long enough to go right up through this rose, through the ceiling which will be lath and plaster, and hopefully into solid wood.

what sort of fitting would you like to replace it with? Just a flex with a shade, or something grander, bigger and very much heavier?
Thanks for your feedback. Above is my sons room which we’ve just painted/decorated and floored. I wish I had realised the issue before redecorating.
I was planning on replacing it with a light fitting but I guess I will need to go with a lampshade now.

Thanks both for your commentary and quick response. 😊
Do you know if that is an original plaster rose, or a new polystyrene one glued on and painted?

A tap with your knuckles you tell you that.

If it is original then probably it has to have been accessed from above to fit the cable (originally a gas pipe), but if floor above is recently done you won't want to touch it.

However, if it is a new one then it might have been fitted over a typical pendant light fitting in which case it is REALLY DUMB (but not impossible to believe) and the rose would need removed to access the fitting to replace the cable.

If there is no electrical problem then I too would just replace the lampshade and make the nest of it.
Hi
The ceiling rose an original feature. Yes, I think we’re just going to go with a nice lampshade now. Seems like a lot of hassle to install a light fitting. Appreciate your feedback.

Reply to Light Fitting - Victorian House. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net