Discuss Lighting circuit issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Nice find, what was the location in the house where that section of cable came from ?? over joist in loft, under sofit to the outside light ?? It's interesting because it looks like a quite well defined area of damage but can't tell from the photo if there are any nibble marks.

Nice find, what was the location in the house where that section of cable came from ?? over joist in loft, under sofit to the outside light ?? It's interesting because it looks like a quite well defined area of damage but can't tell from the photo if there are any nibble marks.

It was in a small section on trunking leading down from the loft to a switch in the kitchen, I first thought it may have been rats so I went from one end of the loft to the other and the installation appears to be in very good order, new cables but the damaged cable I found were the old colours so I can only assume it were the age of the cable?? When I pulled the new cable in, it flew down so there wasn't any nails snagging it, still a bit of a mystery to me

It was in a small section on trunking leading down from the loft to a switch in the kitchen, I first thought it may have been rats so I went from one end of the loft to the other and the installation appears to be in very good order, new cables but the damaged cable I found were the old colours so I can only assume it were the age of the cable?? When I pulled the new cable in, it flew down so there wasn't any nails snagging it, still a bit of a mystery to me

Definite a mystery that one. Inside trunking but with paint mark on it. I would hate to think that a previous installer might have used it in a partially damaged condition, but thinking that as it was in trunking it would be OK and not a hazard. But over time the PVC has embrittled and eventually a fault developed. That's a wild guess by the way....
Another wild guess... when the circuit was changed and new colours were installed, the change in the circuit left excess cable on the switch feed which was just then feed through the trunking and excess trimmed off at the switch. Maybe this cable was damaged during the issue that warranted the new circuit wires going in in the first place but damaged notice to other cables and not this one. ??

Yes I did show the client the cable and tried to explain the best I could about how I thought the cable failed I think they were just happy that the outside light were working.

Hi, I would suggest completing your dead tests and seeing what arises from that and then if neccesary find the mid point of the circuit and see which side the problems on. best guess I would use the IR test to determin falt location.

I found the fault location, I managed to gauge the route of the lighting cables and because the test wasn't clear from the c/u I went in the loft and tested legs from the junction boxes and manged to find it that way

Reply to Lighting circuit issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net