Discuss Line - Earth 102v in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

malcolmchisholm

I had no access to the CU, so I just tested the voltages across the choc block connector.

Line to neutral 249v
Neutral to earth 0v
Line to earth 102v !!!

What will cause the high line to earth voltage? Especially when there is no voltage between neutral and earth.

Many thanks,

Malcolm Chisholm

what choc block connector?what are you testing for,and more importantly,are you a qualified electrician.if not please do not carry on for your own safety!!!!!!!!1

I have a basic fluke voltage tester 0-600v ac/dc(need to upgrade)but i know exactly what it tells me.if i test from line/earth(cpc)and i get 110v light show up,i know that there is no cpc present.this is what i think you may have,no reply yet,are you ok

Thanks for your replies. I suspected lack of earth.

I was asked to check if the wiring to two wall light positions was Ok in a house being bought.

The key to the meter cupboard wasn't available so I did a simple voltage test across the wires coming out of the wall using a Kewtech KT64. They're terminated on choc-blocks.

Voltage across the ringmain was OK. So I guess the cpc on the lights is not connected. Couldn't investigate any more due to lack of access.

I'm in the middle of doing an electrician course, did the measurements because friend wants to put up metal wall light fittings. I warned him to go no further until the earthing was sorted out.

My forum question was to make sure my thinking was corect.

Thank you again for your replies. Very much appreciated by a "new boy".

Malcolm Chisholm

A further development...

The Householder's decided to install the wall lamps anyway. I said I would install an earth in due course, but was told that would interfere with furnishings / decorations so thanks but no thanks.

Their thinking is that if a bulb blows, it will knock out the mcd so current will be off. They will replace the bulb with the mcb off then switch it back on.

The fittings have pull cords to operate them, so they won't get shocks from them even if they do go live!

Oh well, I did make the offer. I have also been told that an electrician has supplied a report on the state of the installation but I haven't seen it.

Malcolm

you can only give your opinion, if they are not interested, walk away and wish them good luck!!!......everybody knows best until somebody gets hurt, if i were u i would now leave well alone, even if they do come bak in a few months!!!

people make me laugh, they always know best eh!

:D

Reply to Line - Earth 102v in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net