• If you are seeking employment in the electrical industry, then you are in the correct forum to post a thread about what you are looking for. Please avoid putting contact details in the actual post. Use the forum messenger instead.

As well as posting a thread in the forum you're in, you can also search Electrician Jobs posted by others HERE. If you run an established electrical company, you can post your business details to our directory of electricians too.

Discuss Looking for weekend industrial work in the People Seeking Electrical Jobs / Employment area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

joshua gordon

-
The Position you're Seeking is:
Part Time
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hello,

I'm 24 years old, and I work full-time, Monday to Friday, as a plant technician in a waste processing plant (I have been there for almost 2 years).

I'm currently enrolled on the City & Guilds level 2 electrical installations diploma and will start the level 3 after finishing the level 2. Also studying for a HNC in instrumentation and control engineering. My current job is not controls/electrical based and so I'm looking to get some experience on the weekend as I would eventually like to become a controls technician/industrial electrician, with a particular interest in PLCs and industrial networking.

My electrical installations diploma does take up 2 weekends a month, so I know that makes things difficult, but I'm up for any alternative/ flexible working patterns i.e. fitting in additional work through the week (working around my full-time shift) or working late on the weekends when I have college.

I live in London but fine with travelling further if required. CV is available on request.

Thanks!
Josh

TL;DR
Enrolled in C&G elec install level 2, working through HNC in instrumentation and control engineering, work full time in a waste processing plant but it's not a controls/electrical position, looking for weekend industrial work to get experience.
Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Aico 3000
David Prosser

David Prosser

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Just to keep on the right side of your current employer I would check your working time policy as the way it looks presently your desired situation looks like you will have no time off.

I'm not trying to put you off good luck. I'm also definitely not telling you check the policy quietly without drawing attention to your situation or suggesting you should be extra careful about who you discuss it with at work.

J

joshua gordon

-
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just to keep on the right side of your current employer I would check your working time policy as the way it looks presently your desired situation looks like you will have no time off.

I'm not trying to put you off good luck. I'm also definitely not telling you check the policy quietly without drawing attention to your situation or suggesting you should be extra careful about who you discuss it with at work.
Hi David, thanks for your reply.

I'll make sure to do this, I haven't done so already.

A few of my colleagues do do part-time work on the weekend (and employer knows), which has given me some encouragement that it's possible.

David Prosser

David Prosser

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Hi David, thanks for your reply.

I'll make sure to do this, I haven't done so already.

A few of my colleagues do do part-time work on the weekend (and employer knows), which has given me some encouragement that it's possible.
Just because they know doesn't mean that if something went wrong they won't blame them for being tired. When you say employer knows do you mean local manager or it's agreed with and documented with the HR dept?

College time should also be included along with any study time. The WTD is mostly to protect overworked employees but it can bite you in the ass if you knowingly brake it.

J

joshua gordon

-
Just because they know doesn't mean that if something went wrong they won't blame them for being tired. When you say employer knows do you mean local manager or it's agreed with and documented with the HR dept?

College time should also be included along with any study time. The WTD is mostly to protect overworked employees but it can bite you in the ass if you knowingly brake it.
You're absolutely right and I didn't consider this at all.
Yeah it's just the local manager, so I guess it's not very official.
I'm reconsidering this whole motive now!

David Prosser

David Prosser

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
I'm sure you find abetter way to fit it in. On paper at least😉.

rapparee

rapparee

-
Esteemed
Arms
Do whatever you want.

I'm working 65+ hours a week.

Several payroll and HR women said I would burn myself out and that I wouldn't last.

They're no longer employed by us and I'm still there.🤷‍♂️

ruston

ruston

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Do whatever you want.

Several payroll and HR women said I would burn myself out and that I wouldn't last.

What kind of job is that where there is no overtime . ;)

J

joshua gordon

-
Do whatever you want.

Thank you rapparee

Get paid faster with card payments | Go Paper Free - Save Hours | Offer Finance to Customers

Reply to Looking for weekend industrial work in the People Seeking Electrical Jobs / Employment area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
Top Bottom