Discuss Macerator spur from lighting circuit??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gringoking88

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been asked to install a spur for a Macerator in an existing bathroom. At present the bathroom has an electric shower and that's it, there are no sockets near or in the bathroom.

I was thinking to drop a feed from an RCD protected FCU from the lighting circuit in the loft to feed a switched flex outlet, to in turn feed the macerator. My question is, is this the most suitable method and also what would be the IP requirements for the connection unit in the bathroom, do I need make sure its outside of zone 2 etc e.g. 60cm away from the bath / taps etc?

Many thanks in advance,

Martin

Hi all,

I have been asked to install a spur for a Macerator in an existing bathroom. At present the bathroom has an electric shower and that's it, there are no sockets near or in the bathroom.

I was thinking to drop a feed from an RCD protected FCU from the lighting circuit in the loft to feed a switched flex outlet, to in turn feed the macerator. My question is, is this the most suitable method and also what would be the IP requirements for the connection unit in the bathroom, do I need make sure its outside of zone 2 etc e.g. 60cm away from the bath / taps etc?

Many thanks in advance,

Martin
Marti
You need to understand the zone restrictions within a bathroom, also the need for RCD protection, along with the need to register the work with LABC.
How far advanced are you with your training? you may have to resign yourself, and ask the question, that at this stage in your career, you are over stretching your choices.
Any way let us know the answers to my questions, as I am assuming you may be out of our depth, I say may, at the moment it's guesswork.

Marti
You need to understand the zone restrictions within a bathroom, also the need for RCD protection, along with the need to register the work with LABC.
How far advanced are you with your training? you may have to resign yourself, and ask the question, that at this stage in your career, you are over stretching your choices.
Any way let us know the answers to my questions, as I am assuming you may be out of our depth, I say may, at the moment it's guesswork.
Hi Pete,

I think I get the restrictions hence the outside zones bit but am a little uncertain so looking for some clarification. In terms of registering work, I am actually NICEIC registered so can do this but again just looking for reassurance I guess from those more experienced.

Hope this answers?

Cheers,

Martin

Hi,i suppose the first question is,what is the installation description?

Is that macerator power consumption,commensurate, with adding a few more LED's?

Hi,i suppose the first question is,what is the installation description?

Is that macerator power consumption,commensurate, with adding a few more LED's?
Hi Peg,

Its rated at 500W, the lighting circuit is on an old 15amp fuse and thats the only addition / alteration to the circuit.

Thanks,

Martin

your plan sounds good, obi wan. may the flush be with you.

I would make sure that all circuits in the location are protected via 30mA rcd excluding selv lighting , or at the very least there is supplementary bonding in place between circuits and any exposed pipework (metallic) that isn’t isolated from any extraneous pipework.

Hi Peg,

Its rated at 500W, the lighting circuit is on an old 15amp fuse and thats the only addition / alteration to the circuit.

Thanks,

Martin

Are you 100% sure the lighting circuit is 15 amps?

Have you checked earthing and bonding?

And have you checked said lighting circuit has an Earth at the point you wish to extend from?

I would make sure that all circuits in the location are protected via 30mA rcd excluding selv lighting , or at the very least there is supplementary bonding in place between circuits and any exposed pipework (metallic) that isn’t isolated from any extraneous pipework.
Ian,

Is this you going above and beyond? The regs say only the work I complete has to be upto current regs and there is no need to "upgrade" existing circuitry?

Yes but you are installing wiring in a special location and special locations such as bathrooms come with specific regulations.
That is my understanding of the regulations regarding bathrooms.

Reply to Macerator spur from lighting circuit??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net