Discuss Main Bonding Dilema in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys, just looking for a few thoughts on this one. This is a pretty big property with the gas meter situated in a small outhouse. There is no power in the the outhouse. The supply pipework comes out of the ground in copper into the meter.
Then exits the meter in plastic and goes below ground. It emerges and turns back to copper where it enters the main house building. I can’t test the pipe in the main house as it is already connected to the boilers and therefore the mains water supply pipe (also currently in-bonded)
The intention is to run a 16mm bonding conductor as it is a fair hike from the MET to catch the water as it comes in but I’m trying to decide what to do after that.....
Bond the gas in the main house then loop out and catch the meter too.....or just the meter given the copper in the house is unlikely to be extraneous due to the plastic section. Bit weird really so any thoughts appreciated :)

If there is no power in the outhouse you don't need to bond the meter. Remember why you bond, it is to keep everything in the house equipotential so that if the electrical installation rises in potential there is no hazard from bits of pipe work in contact with earth. Are you sure about the gas supply pipes? I would expect the service pipe to be plastic then a copper supply to the house from the meter.

If there is no power in the outhouse you don't need to bond the meter. Remember why you bond, it is to keep everything in the house equipotential so that if the electrical installation rises in potential there is no hazard from bits of pipe work in contact with earth. Are you sure about the gas supply pipes? I would expect the service pipe to be plastic then a copper supply to the house from the meter.
Cheers for responding. I did think about the lack of power in the outhouse right enough. There’s no lights or power in there although the building is attached to the main house. The gas service pipework rises out of the ground (in steel I think....could be wrong..metal anyway!) to the meter. The property is a couple of hundred years old......comes out of the meter in copper for about a metre then joins to yellow plastic, goes underground again across a courtyard and pops up in plastic on the other side where to goes back to copper 28mm and re-enters a different part of the house. I wanted to test the section where it re-enters the house but the parallel paths would knacker any reading I took there!

Reply to Main Bonding Dilema in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net