Discuss mcb tripping after new sockets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Jaco13579

DIY
Reaction score
hi all. A friend asked if i would look at his kitchen sockets as they would trip just the mcb now and then. i said ill look but thats it as he had a electrician install 3 spurs and add 1 socket on a radial circuit 16amp mcb and looks like 6mm t&e from mb for the circuit and looks like the combi boiler is on the same circuit (guessing spured). Here's where my problem is he has under counter fridge/freezer, tumble drier, dishwasher, washing machine, plus all the other kitchen stuff. From my under standing from what i remember the load is to much for the 6mm cable and the 16amp mcb.
I believe hes spoke with the electrician and hes said everything is fine with it.
any advise on this would be great
thanks

your friend needs to get the spark back
and see what's is tripping the mcb, are there a RCD In the consumer unit.
yes it has RCD. and will let him know to get him back. and sorry im just asking if this is right for a 16amp radial or should it be a final ring with the load that can be put on it. As i didnt think to much of the work that was done

thanks so my under standing he should have made it 20amp radial to take the extra load from the appliances
Probably, but it also depends on the cable's size & route as there are different maximum ratings depending on how well insulated it is thermally-speaking, and so how hot it gets carrying current.

If it is 6mm cable then it can generally do 32A no problem, but I suspect the various sockets are on 2.5mm hence could be anywhere between 13.5A max to 27A (but often 20-21A).

Probably, but it also depends on the cable's route as there are different maximum ratings depending on how well insulated it is thermally-speaking, and so how hot it gets carrying current.
cheers i just want to make sure he gets the work done that he needs and im sure it runs about 8-10m either in the floor or wall (6mm t&e)

under counter fridge/freezer, tumble drier, dishwasher, washing machine, plus all the other kitchen stuff.

wat too much load for a 16A MCB, as said previously, cable capacity (and hence correct MCB rating) will depend on installation method of the 6.0mm T/E.

Can't believe they've wired it so all the kitchen appliances are on a 16A MCB. Is there any certificate for the work?

Can't believe they've wired it so all the kitchen appliances are on a 16A MCB. Is there any certificate for the work?
probably wrote on left-over Izal bog roll that became obsolete when them labrador puppies started advertising. for the youngsters that don't remember it, it was a shiny, useless arse wipe that instead of removing the shyte, just spread it across your arse. i remember being in hospital aged 11 and every sh*t sheet was stamped "Hospital Property". as if anyone would want to nick it.

I remember Izal bog roll from school days, worse if you crunched it up to try and wipe better as you ended up with sharp corners to scratch you already-troubled ring piece. Awful stuff!

I remember Izal bog roll from school days, worse if you crunched it up to try and wipe better as you ended up with sharp corners to scratch you already-troubled ring piece. Awful stuff!
Wouldn't do your Michael Miles any good using that stuff either.

even worse than yellow pages, ot the daily mirror that the workshy red labourites used to leave in the works bogs.

hi all. A friend asked if i would look at his kitchen sockets as they would trip just the mcb now and then. i said ill look but thats it as he had a electrician install 3 spurs and add 1 socket on a radial circuit 16amp mcb and looks like 6mm t&e from mb for the circuit and looks like the combi boiler is on the same circuit (guessing spured). Here's where my problem is he has under counter fridge/freezer, tumble drier, dishwasher, washing machine, plus all the other kitchen stuff. From my under standing from what i remember the load is to much for the 6mm cable and the 16amp mcb.
I believe hes spoke with the electrician and hes said everything is fine with it.
any advise on this would be great
thanks
IF he has run a 6mm radial that will be able to handle the load will need to just update the MCB as that is not suitable .
But i suspect its 6mm from the consumer unit and then spurred off in 2.5mm , and as a radial it it been overloaded.
would be best to get a electrican in as the will have the equipment to test the actual circuit

As a boy, we had the Izal and the soft paper, and used them together, the Izal acting as a tough, outer sheath with waterproof properties...

Reply to mcb tripping after new sockets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock