Discuss Minimum electrical certification in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

There is no legal requirement.

Certain domestic work is notifiable and being a member of a competent person scheme can facilitate this. The schemes have entry requirements.

Yes fast track courses exist. They vary in quality and content but most are very expensive. They will often provide little practical experience if any.
What do you currently do ?

I renovate property’s but have been let down by plumbers and electricians.

I do all plumbing works bar anything related to gas. Would be nice to understand a little more about what is allowed and what I won’t get in trouble doing?

What is meant by the term “Notifiable” I get the concept but if you install a new socket who do you notify?

Thanks

I renovate property’s but have been let down by plumbers and electricians.

I do all plumbing works bar anything related to gas. Would be nice to understand a little more about what is allowed and what I won’t get in trouble doing?

What is meant by the term “Notifiable” I get the concept but if you install a new socket who do you notify?

Thanks

Depends what you mean by "get into trouble"

Burning down a house or electrocuting someone could get you into a lot of trouble for example.

Your prime focus of intention should be gaining competence and understanding in electrical installation. You shouldn't be doing electrical work without a full understanding of what you are doing, why you are doing it, and all the regulatory standards that surround the work. Treat it

Notifiable work is notified to the local building control office. This is separate to certification to prove compliance with BS7671.

All electrical work should be fully tested and appropriate certification produced on completion.

Have a look at Part P and building control for notifiable.
As regards all installation work carried out, it's a matter of certifiable. Certificates should be provided and testing carried out by people qualified to do so. There's also a matter of insurance to think of.

Turn this on it’s head for a while. Testing confirms that the device will stop working correctly when there is a fault, not that it works (that’s a functional test tick box). Many fit electrics and seeing that it works feel that’s enough. The certificate needs the test results and MFT’s are not cheap - understanding and calculating the expected results tells you a lot about the circuit. It’s not just about fitting something that ‘works’.

If it is just for your own property renovations the investment may not stack up:
Short electrical course: £3-5k
test equipment (mft etc): £1.5 -2 k
scheme membership/ insurance etc:tearsofjoy:1-2k per year
So you are looking at £5-10k to get going.

How many properties do you have? Would it be worth putting an electrician on the books?

You just need to find yourself a good spark and remember that they will have other clients too so will not always be available to fit in with your timescales.

A landlord I worked for would often call me with a job on a Tuesday, expecting me to go and do it on Wednesday. Once he realised it did not work like that everything was fine.

A guy I know just ‘qualified’ as a domestic electrician so he can do his own wiring , the course including exam set him back £2500 and took 7 weeks.

It’s not cheap and very rarely will the numbers add up if you are just ‘doing lectrics’ on the side

Reply to Minimum electrical certification in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock